Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two sided carving

Default Two sided carving

I've been searching through past posts trying to gain some insight into two sided carving. I found the biplane files that the CW guys posted, which has carvings on both sides of the planes body but I cannot find an explanation of how the workpiece is registerd when changing sides.

Do you flip the stock about the X-axis and the machine then finds the end and calculates where to start carving?
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jeff,

Since the machine will measure your wood and the first side is cut so the complete wood is still there after it's finished and the reverse side is on the same wood (but on the other side) if you put the wood in properly when it's measured again it'll do the registration for you accurately. It's that accurate a machine. As I've mentioned before, I've stopped the machine in the middle of a project, removed the wood, then put it back and started the project over (too bad you can't jog it to a position and have it pick up again) and the machine did the remeasuring and started carving all over again, except since it was already carved, it went through the steps, yet the bit never did any further cutting; it just moved the sawdust from the previous carve until it got to where I had stopped it, then it continued without a hickup or false move. That's pretty accurate, I'd say.

Bob

Thanks Bob, so when you flip the stock over you do so front to back, i.e. the left-right side of the stock are in teh same orientation?

Jeff,

In the software you have an "F" and "B" icon which indicates Front and Back side of your wood project. In either of your sides you also have a center horizontal and vertical guide ... for centering work. Thus on the F side you can Control C (copy) any selection, click on B and then Control V to copy it to the back side, then reverse the image and it'll match the front in reverse. Do your revers design to the requried accuracy and when you save the design you'll also be saving both sides and the machine will automatically register to the wood.

Bob

Bob, what I'm asking about is how to flip the wood on the machine.

Jeff, horizontally. Right to left or left to right will do it.

(edited) And since I failed to mention how that is established (for me) it's left to right as looking directly at the cover and across the way the wood moves.

Thanks, Pkunk.

Bob

Jeff, flip it L-R not end for end.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

The easiest way I remember is the part/side that is touching the gold guide roller will be flipped so that it is now on top and and farthest away from the guide roller.

In an effort to thoroughly flog a dead horse…I created a design (and after struggling for an hour trying to figure out how to scale it to a different board size), all the objects in the board design are located under one main group (needed to scale them all as group). I ‘Select all in group’ and then Ctrl-C, flip to the back side, Ctrl-V and I have a copy of everything on the front side on the back, but it is all upside down w.r.t. the front. I cannot, for-the-life-of-me, figure out how to rotate this whole group 180 to line it up with the front. Any suggestions welcome.

Default Mirro

I would think the Mirror command would work. Mirror Vertical, then Mirror Horizontal. Delete the images that are no longer needed.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast