Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rose Motif Serving Tray - Project of the Month April 2011

I keep coming back to this thread Michael and the three photos. Just beautiful, especially the roses motif on the ends and I can't wait for the project to be released. The wood is waiting, the machine is ready; all we need are the MPCs. Thanks again for bringing us new inspiration every month about what the CarveWright can help us do Mike. My Salute
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 03-28-2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Very nice project indeed Michael. I really want to join the POM club now. How long did it take to carve? Could the cuts easily be made with band or scroll saw as my cutting bit is broken and hasn't been replaced yet? I'm sure this would save time in the carving too, right.

Thanks,
    Joyce

Thank you, everyone!

Joyce, each decorative side will take 1¾ hr on BEST or 3¼ hr on OPTIMAL (I used the OPTIMAL setting on mine).
    Yes, you could do the cutouts using your band or scroll saw. If you don't have the CW machine do the cutouts, the carve/cut time will be less in either case (probably save about 20 minutes or so on each panel). The rails took about 48 minutes having the machine do the dado and cut outs. (If you have a table saw, you could make the rails on it in about 10 or 15 minutes.)

The only thing you need to keep in mind is to reassign the cut paths to a shallow carve/cut with your carving bit (since you don't have a cutting bit replacement yet.) You will need that to make an accurate outline around the panels for a guide to cut them out on your band or scroll saw. Just remove the cut path assignment, reassign the 1/16" carving bit (1/16 ballnose) and assign a depth of say, maybe 1/32" to score the surface with the outline.

I believe SharonB does this type of procedure (i.e., doing a shallow outline and cuts out parts manually with a band saw), but I think she is using the 1/8" cutting bit to do the "scoring". In this case it won't matter which you use, but on some projects, using the 1/16" ballnose might throw off some critical dimensions - makes an offset of about 1/32 to 1/16 in relation to the outline (like a box project or something along those lines).
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-28-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Got mine done. Finally warmed up around here so that I could get the machine out and going again yesterday. Tomorrow is my little lady's birthday and she will get it then.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 11 POM.jpg   April 11 POM (2).jpg  

WOW! That looks fantastic! Great work!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I also don't belong to the project of the month club but I too appreciate your efforts. Just seeing the POMs causes me to think of all kinds of things to do. Now if I could just decide on something, anything!
    Sometimes I'm just totally underwhelmed!
    Series "A" Craftsman with Carvetight.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroot View Post
    I also don't belong to the project of the month club but I too appreciate your efforts. Just seeing the POMs causes me to think of all kinds of things to do. Now if I could just decide on something, anything!
    Thank you very much. Making up my mind which projects to create is an issue for me too! (I have to make a "project decision" twice a month.) So many ideas - not enough lifetimes to do them all.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I am having trouble carving out the side panels for this project. The first panel carved perfectly. When I carved the second panel and it went to cut out the perimeter, it shifted and cutout into the center carved area, taking out the square perimeter. What do I need to do to correct this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    J.E. "Gene" Young, Sr.
    Allthingswood
    1929 Hughes Drive SW
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    CarveWright Start U Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by AllThingsWood View Post
    I am having trouble carving out the side panels for this project. The first panel carved perfectly. When I carved the second panel and it went to cut out the perimeter, it shifted and cutout into the center carved area, taking out the square perimeter. What do I need to do to correct this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hello Gene,

Sorry you had a problem. Most likely it is a tracking issue (easily corrected). Please read the following Tips and Tricks to see if that helps you determine the problem and make corrections:
    ISSUE 27 January – February 2010 – Maintaining Accurate Board Tracking
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Micheal T
    Thanks for your help. I referred to the tips and trick article and tried putting tape on my maple board. I found out that the board was too slick for the roller. After applying the tape and rerunning the end panel, everything came out great. It is a good looking project, thanks again.
    J.E. "Gene" Young, Sr.
    Allthingswood
    1929 Hughes Drive SW
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    CarveWright Start U Team Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast