Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rose Motif Serving Tray - Project of the Month April 2011

Default Rose Motif Serving Tray - Project of the Month April 2011

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for APRIL 2011), called the Rose Motif Serving Tray. This beautiful serving tray features a delicate rose carving relief on each side panel to lend a unique elegance to a fairly standard woodworking project! The side panels have recessed dados for easy assembly.

You may want to consider making one (or more) as a Mother’ Day gift to go along with a nice breakfast in bed served on the tray!

The project requires no special bits - the main components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The finished dimensions of the assembled Serving Tray are about 18½" wide x 7" tall x 14" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Serving_Tray_Side.mpc
    • Serving_Tray_Rails.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Sides (two): 0.75" x 8" x 22.5" (two needed)
    Rails: 0.75" x 4" x 25"
    Tray Surface :½" Oak or Birch veneer Ply:
    cut to size... 12" x 17.5"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Clamps, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Rose Motif Serving Tray made from Oak veneer plywood and Select Pine:

• Minwax oil-based Red Oak stain #215 on tray surface
    • No stain on the sides or rails - I left them natural
    • 3 coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic gloss spray
    • 2 coats water-based Zinsser Bulls Eye Ultimate Polyurethane Satin (brushed)

Apply your choice of stains, paints and clearcoats. NOTE: The tray surface should be coated with a durable clearcoat to protect the surface and make cleanup of any spills an easy task.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Serving_Tray_Setting_550x623.jpg   Serving_Tray_End_Closeup_550x338.jpg   Serving_Tray_TOP_iso-view_550x478.jpg  
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Thats real nice, Michael!

But anyone who makes one better realize their wife will want breakfast in bed every morning!

Quote Originally Posted by dougmsbbs View Post
    Thats real nice, Michael!

But anyone who makes one better realize their wife will want breakfast in bed every morning!
    Ya know, it's funny - I was actually making something else for the POM when my wife suggested this idea and yes - she said she expected breakfast in bed on Mother's Day. I'm thinking my "revenge" might be to take a photo of her before she gets "gussied up" while eating breakfast using the tray - may cut down on the breakfast in bed demands!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Very nice project of the month design Michael,

By the way if I were you I'd stay away from the early morning camera idea on the 8th of May. Otherwise we may not be seeing you in Houston later that week after all. And it would be a shame to have to send flowers to the hospital rather than buying you a congratulations drink for all the POMs after class instead. All the best.
    Last edited by Capt Bruce; 03-27-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    may cut down on the breakfast in bed demands!
    May cut down on that whole being married thing, too!

You guys are right...better to play it safe! (but only because I want to get to the CW Conference fairly intact and still married)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Michael,

Once again an outstanding design.

Love the Roses.

I am going to do this for my sister, she loves breakfast in bed and roses, Carl her husband will see that she gets breakfast in bed.
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Very nice project-

I don't subscribe to the carver's club but I wanted to put out a thank you anyway for the hard work and thought that goes into each month's project. They are always appropriate to the season/a holiday and are definately "out of the box" type projects.

Well done and thanks for sharing
    Lawrence

Lawrence, it is the Project of the Month club, not the carver's club, 2 seperate things. Can't wait to carve this one out and paint it. Will be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Very nice project-

I don't subscribe to the carver's club but I wanted to put out a thank you anyway for the hard work and thought that goes into each month's project. They are always appropriate to the season/a holiday and are definately "out of the box" type projects.

Well done and thanks for sharing
    Lawrence
    Thank you, Lawrence! I appreciate your encouragement!

Edit: As SmokenD mentioned, these are projects for the Project of the Month subscribers ($120 annually) - the Carver's Club is a different item ($150 annually). Thanks SmokenD for pointing that out - I missed that reference myself until you made the addition/correction!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast