Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing QC collars for use with new CarveTight system

Unhappy Removing QC collars for use with new CarveTight system

To all,
    I'm having a heck of a time removing the QC collars from the 1/4" bits for use with my new upgraded CT system. The 1/2" with a little heat from the heat gun, came off with little or no effort. The darn 1/4 bits no matter how much heat put on them, the collar will not slide off. I don't want to pound on the ends of fear that I'll mess up the shaft. Any ideas that anyone can provide me will be a blessing.

You need more heat, the heat gun will not give you enough to remove the collar for the 1/4" bit. Once heated (HOT) I still had to strike the bottom to get it broke loose.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I heated my 1/4" bits in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then, using two oven mitts, remove the two screws. Most bits should drop out easily. If not, use a vise or slot in a board to make a make-shift arbor press, Take a large nail to tap the bit out of the adapter.

The 1/2" bits need no heat, as they are held in place by a nut assembly rather than the screws.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

I use a DEEP Socket as a place to heat it and a flat punch to tap it out... into the socket... Heat is the key.... I have a little Crack Torch that I use.... NO... not for Crack... I use it to wave over the Epoxy Dome Tags to take the Air Bubbles out.... LOL....

You should have seen the Girl's eyes at the local Hardware Store when I asked if she had a Crack Torch....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

15 seconds with a propane torch worked for me.

LOL, I can imangine! I can tell by your posts that you're an "Ole Salt" as I so the terminology is a welcome laugh.. Thanks for the advice, I'll run down to my local Lowes and get one of those "crack pipes!"

The set screws came out with no issue using the heat gun, but the remaining assembly has proven to be a PIA, lol. I guess the answer is heat and plent of it. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by qsligh View Post
    LOL, I can imangine! I can tell by your posts that you're an "Ole Salt" as I so the terminology is a welcome laugh.. Thanks for the advice, I'll run down to my local Lowes and get one of those "crack pipes!"
    My past is showing.... Retired Navy Chief... Old Salt for sure... 27 countries and a million Sea Stories.... don't get me started... I will get banned.... LOL....

AL

FCC(SW) USN Retired in 95

Crack Torch below....
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-27-2011 at 05:36 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

As I was often told "When in doubt, ask the Chief!" It looks like us old Shellbacks are schooling again.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I was just on the forum on Military dot Com.... Lots of Chief stuff flying around... Can a Chief really be Wrong.... LOL.....

Yes, I have been a Shellback since 77 and the first Australia Trip.... Made Golden Shellback in 81 going over at 00 and The Dateline and a 3rd time in 89 on the 2nd trip to Australia. Shellback is crossing the Equator and a little initiation.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Yes, I make myself laugh at my terminology... I sure do show my age....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast