Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wait, what? WHAT?! I think I'll stick with Fletcher's solution.

Default Wait, what? WHAT?! I think I'll stick with Fletcher's solution.

While this *might* work, given the appropriate care to attach the vacuum attachment to the CarveWright's lid, the 'under a minute' solution proposed is ... kinda scary.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

LOL!!! LOL!!! LOL!!!!

Do I need to say this system is neither supported nor endorsed by LHR?!.....
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I must say though, it is good old CW customers' ingenuity that drives the product! Keep pushing us!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I must say though, it is good old CW customers' ingenuity that drives the product! Keep pushing us!!!
    Translation: "My marketing sense is tingling..."

How long before dust collection (such as Fletchers ingenious solution) is standard with the CarveWright? It can't be a bad idea, given the feedback for the solution. And considering you can carve your own in a couple of hours, for a cost of less than a foot-long sandwich from Subway, I would think it's something that could be sold for - let's say - $49.99 + S/H?
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

So, lynnfrwd, are you ever going to comment on if cutting the lid voids the warranty?

I know a lid is cheap, but I'm really waiting to do it to my new 'C' model until I hear from you guys down there. Whats going to happen if you get one back for repair under warranty and it has a cut lid?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Quote Originally Posted by dougmsbbs View Post
    So, lynnfrwd, are you ever going to comment on if cutting the lid voids the warranty?
    I know it would be a little bit louder, but could you not remove the lid and tape the sensor?

Well, sure, you could, I guess. But I really hate to remove any safety feature. After a couple of decades in repairing industrial presses, I came away with all fingers still attached. A record I'd kinda like to keep...

Quote Originally Posted by dougmsbbs View Post
    Well, sure, you could, I guess. But I really hate to remove any safety feature. After a couple of decades in repairing industrial presses, I came away with all fingers still attached. A record I'd kinda like to keep...
    Good call! (You actually made me remember a story of when I worked for a company that made rubberized covers for military vehicles.)

I worked for a company during the summer when I was a teenager, running a machine that would bond rubberized eyelets to heavy rubberized covers, after which they would be painted in a camouflage pattern and installed on military vehicles. The way the machine worked was, you would lay out the rubber on a metal plate, put the eyelet in place, and then cover it with a metal die that would make contact with the machine's plate above. You'd step back, press two buttons, and the machine would press down and together, and run a bunch of electricity between the plates, melting the eyelet to the rubber. Once it was done, the plates would raise, and you could remove the piece. Well, there was a little 'tool' that had been built to measure where the eyelet would go, and it was no more than a couple of pieces of acrylic held together with pop rivets. I had the (bad) habit of leaving the tool on top of the top plate on the machine, and one day, I stepped back and pressed the buttons, and then noticed it was on the top plate of the machine. I reached for it to remove it (as my Manager had warned me it wasn't smart to leave it there) and when my thumb got close to it, there was a arc of electricity that ran from the pop rivet to my thumb.

I have to stop here. I didn't actually see the arc. What I saw was a bright flash of light, akin to a flashbulb, go off, engulfing my hand to the wrist in bright light. It was as if my hand had disappeared inside the sun.

There was a sharp pain, I remember, as if I had gotten a needle in my thumb, which radiated up my hand to the wrist. I instinctively pulled my hand back from the shock, and when I looked at the left side of my thumb, I noticed it was milky white. It didn't hurt any more, but it looked very strange. I reached towards it with my left hand, and pulled away many, many layers of dead skin, which came off in a 1/4" sized chunk, all together. It was really, really strange to see, as my thumb seemed to now have a crescent shaped chunk out of it, but the electricity had magically cauterized the wound, so there wasn't any blood. Just a new layer of skin, it would seem, which was much thinner, and you could actually see the tip of the bone of my thumb through it. Over the next couple of days, I guess it stretched and filled out with blood and all, because it did come back to normal, and my thumb looks fine today.

I was very lucky to not have lost the thumb, I'm sure, as I'm certain if I had delayed pulling my hand back a second longer, it would have obviously done more damage than it did. (I wish I could say that was the last time I did that same move - as it happened about a week later. Not as bad this time, as I recall reaching towards the tool when my brain said, "STOP! Don't you remember what happened last time?" And I did pull back quicker, but no. Not before another (much smaller) arc shocked my same thumb, which was a LOT more sensitive this time. But, good news on that, no damage this time.

No damage, of course, except to my pride.

We are still not endorsing cutting a hole in your machine. It is a "safety/liability" issue. If we receive even a machine that is out of warranty with a hole in the cover, we cannot send it back that way. We would require that you buy a new or used cover before it could pass QA and be shipped back to you.

Warranty states the machine cannot be modified or the warranty will be voided, so if you are under warranty or not, you'd better have a back up lid before sending a machine into us.

DurhamDev: My marketing senses are ALWAYS tingling...doctor keeps wanting to call it carpal tunnel. I was actually referring to the CT being after the Rock and the importer after the AI2MPC. How long? Don't know...our guys are peddling as fast as they can to catch up to you guys! Dougmsbbs and his mugs is another perfect example of customer driven products!

What a gruesome story!!! I guess you answered your own question, now didn't you!?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast