Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Home built airplane

For improved cut quality like I posted earlier. Use double stick tape or build a Vacuum Jig with replacement tops with holes drilled for each .mpc and saved to use again. The Advantage of not using Tabs or Cut Path and using tape or a Vacuum Jig is that you can use the 1/16 inch End Mill bit for the design without tabs or Cut Path. The Tape or Vacuum Jig will hold loose parts. Once you have your design done in 1/16 inch select the whole project to be cut and select the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and set the depth to the usual .3. What this will do is slow down the feed rate on your cut for a smoother edge finish. Using Tape on the Brass Roller of your Carrier Board or Jig ensures the Rack and Pinion Action of the Brass Roller to bottom of the board. A X Direction Error and you end up with a broken bit.

When you use the Cut Path Feature you will see the Feed Rate of Slow doing turns then FAST on long runs.... The Faster Feed Rate does not leave as clean of an edge and is more stressful on the bit. Using my method learned from Lynn locks the feed rate into 1st gear... A function I would love to see added as a function of the Cut Path Depth of Cut Screen.... Lock in 1st GEAR.... You can't do it now with a Cut Path.

If you design a vacuum sled with replacement tops pre drilled with holes to hold the parts based on your .mpc, include a Vacuum Switch in the setup to open the cover circuit and stop the machine if vacuum is lost wired in series with the cover switch. I will use a RCA Jack and Shorting Plug when the Jig is not in use.

Good Luck... This is Exciting.... Great Project...

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 04-27-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Al, thanks for the tips. I have not seen any information on a vacuum jig. Can you enlighten me on it?
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

Heres one that I started but never finished, I don't know if it will work or not but it should give you an idea of what one is.The big square to the left on the back side is where you would attach a vacuum fitting somehow, you would have to modify it for the whatever fitting your going to use.Then add a 1/4 piece of plywood to the bottom to seal it up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	44138

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	44139

vacuum-jig.mpc

Interesting concept! Something to ponder. Thanks!
    The problem with communications is the illusion they have occurred.

But won't dust clog the vacume jig?
    Clint

I've seen vacum holddowns where they used a roller blind to cover the exposed holes- this seemed to work ok

The one I used you just covered the holes with a rubber mat and then the vac was able to hold the workpiece on fine

As long as you vac before you start carving you shouldn't get dust methinks-- no problem with a random orbital sander anyway

Lawrence

ps- awesome project!

Any more pictures of this project? I have someone on another forum, calling the CW a toy and wanted to show them what this "toy" could do.

Thanks!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Did you show them what LG and Doug H. can make with our "toy" ?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Any more pictures of this project? I have someone on another forum, calling the CW a toy and wanted to show them what this "toy" could do.

Thanks!
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

I'm collecting photos now. Thought I would show them some "toys".
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

That is quite the undertaking, looks like it's in good hands though.You have just touched the tip of the iceberg in what the carveWright can do. Keep the updates coming.

Capt Barry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast