Thread: USAF Coin Display

Default USAF Coin Display

My son says they have a need of these things. Evidently they are awarded large coins and want to display them. Nothing like that in my day - USAF 1957 - 61.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USAF Coin Display (1).jpg   USAF Coin Display.jpg   USAF Coin Display (2).jpg   USAF Coin Display (3).jpg  

Nice work, I also make coin racks and have a few ideas that i want to make when I get the design software figures out.

John

Very nice work on the Challenge Coin racks Clint. I'm still trying to work out a design for an Air Force buddy because he has plain coins and some in sealed display boxes that he wants to keep pristine. Challeges, challenges, challenges. Up to the time I retired in 2001 the Navy just had not really bought into that custom as much as the other Forces.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I've drank many a beverage through the last 17 years or so due to an unsuspecting aviator forgetting their challenge "coin".... The custom is especially prevelant in the flying community, but I've seen it followed in all walks of the Air Force (though not as strictly as it used to be)

There was a time that RMO's (round metal objects... calling them "coins" is considered obtuse) were quite difficult to acquire (one had to be "gifted" most of them by a Commander)-- and some still are-- These coins hold great value to the owner and there is usually a story that accompanies the coin.

I've learned that while deployed that one must always have an RMO on your person-- even stash one in your shower bag...
    Great job on the coin holders and they will be well accepted methinks. I'm on again-off again working on some holder designs myself--I'll only add that this is an object that would benefit from centerline text (small letters)

Thanks for sharing,
    Lawrence

I didn't use centerline because the round wooden object is supposed to look like a large coin and coins have raised lettering, and for the other I just think it looks better. My son, prefers the wings, but I like the coin one, so I made both for him to take in to get orders.
    Clint

Nice design. I do a number of these for work. Challenge coins are definitely more prevalent today than when I first joined the military. When I was a young soldier it was uncommon to see someone with more than 3-5 challenge coins. They were given out very sparingly. Now it is not uncommon to see a mid-grade soldier with 40-60 of these things. It has become more of a pacifier to reward soldiers without giving them a full-blown ribbon award which takes paperwork. The soldeirs don't seem to mind though and at least they are being recognized for their efforts. Most of the orders I get for these things are senior grade NCOs and Officers that want the display case to hold at least 100 challenge coins. I have started incorparating drawers into them to hold the overflow. Here is one I did a few months ago on short notice (it explains the lack of carving). More recently I have begun to engrave the soldiers name and branch into the back panel and different qualification badges into the drawer fronts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coin Holder.jpg  
    Last edited by JDPratt; 03-21-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Beaufiful work ,I like the finish on all of it. It like someone said a while back a set cabinets are just cabinets with out the finish.

great work and finish.

MYshop
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."