Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this work? Taking guesses.

Default Will this work? Taking guesses.

Trying to make a sort of jewel box with one carve out of one piece of board. Took 9 1/2 hrs to carve the first draft in pine just to see if things will work out. Will let you know but I'd be glad to see if anyone else has tried the same thing? Posting the front and back of the carve. What do you think?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7783.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	398.4 KB 
ID:	43000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7782.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	385.7 KB 
ID:	43001
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

Bonney Lake, Washington, United States, 113160055365328, Bonney Lake, Washington

Nice design! It looks great, I cant wait to see how it comes out.
    Tom Watson
    Two CW's and D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!
    50" X 48" PDJ Pilot Pro CNC http://www.pdjinc.com

Check out my Facebook page for current carvings at http://www.facebook.com/signsinwood

Watsons Wooden Words http://www.signsinwood.com & Messages in Wood http://www.messagesinwood.com/

Thanks easy, will post when I can get it done. Tom, checked your web and I'm from Mts of NC, what is Northwest wook? Haven't heard of it before, but take into concideration I'm in marketing. Would like to see some examples if possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by badger2424; 03-19-2011 at 12:16 AM.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    www.hcautos.com

Your all-in-one-carve Jewelry Box looks great Badger2424. To help us understand the scale what is the width of your board? I really like the economy of design for getting the maximum carved pieces with minimal wood waste. Terrific, and can't wait to see the finished piece.
    More photos please.

And just as a side question, which season in NC allows the use of that underslung M79 barrel? Personally I prefer Claymore season.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

That is indeed a VERY NICE design! Excellent!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I can't imagine why it wouldn't work-- and it looks very nice indeed

Thanks for sharing
    Lawrence

Hey guys, thanks to all, and Capt the board is 31"plus x 13.5. The box will cutout to 10x5 with the lid 6x11. I would have liked to use a sled, but the cutout wouldn't work with it unless I placed the tabs myself and I didn't want to take the time. Would like to have to option in Designer where you can set the depth of cutout whereas you could use the cutout option with a sled, I hate to waste the 7" of board. Plus with some cutouts, with the sled they are deeper than 1" and you can't use the cutout option. A cutout depth setting is whats on my Wish List. There might be another way I'm not aware of yet, but I'm sure you guys will let me know. And Capt.with a underslung M79 barrel I would think you can hunt anything-anytime you want Capt.
    www.hcautos.com

Your point on the M79 is well made Badger2424,

When that 800 pound gorilla enters the room he can pretty well sit anywhere he wants to sit.

Thanks for the dimension details on your cut plan which one assumes you'll finish up and miter by ripping on a table saw. Like the launcher it's all a question of the right tool for the task at the right time.

I'm after the same feature of a cut out depth that can be set for edge clean-up on two sided carvings without penetrating the whole depth of the board. I keep on experimenting but have not found a solution yet. So many ideas for techniques to follow through.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the box assembled.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by badger2424 View Post
    ...Would like to have to option in Designer where you can set the depth of cutout whereas you could use the cutout option with a sled, I hate to waste the 7" of board...
    Hi Badger,

You can certainly perform cutouts with projects on a sled (we've been able to do that since 2008. Take a read of the following Tips & Tricks article which describes the process...it's very easy and I think you will find it helpful. ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights See page 3 ...it describes how to do cutouts of "thin material" but the procedure is exactly the same for any cutout you want done when using a sled/jig/carrier board. Hopefully the instructions are clear (I tried!), but some folks still haven't gotten their head wrapped around it yet for some reason. In any case, you can save wood with your jigs and do cutouts - you can have your cake and eat it too! No need to specify cutting depth manually - it's automatic.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I like the chip carving designs on the ends and top.
    Clint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast