Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Winter Project

Default My Winter Project

Started in January and finished it today. Made this Armoire for the wife and just got it into the house. I don't get to work in the shop every day and at one time went 2 weeks without doing anything with it. So, who know"s how long it would take if I kept at it every day. Anyway glad it's done, sad it's done. Usually an Armoire has a pole in it for hanging cloths, but I changed it to have shelves. Made it out of Benton County Red Oak where I live and used McFadden Gel finish on it. Also did a little inlay on the side but didn't want to do too much to attract away from the doors. Of course the doors are raised panel with the carving. From seeing all the great projects on here from everyone I decided to paint the carvings which the wife is happy with. The worse part, getting older. Dang that thing was heavy. Take it out the basement around the house on a dolly, up a hill. Then into the house around corners, shuffle around and into the bedroom. Anyway, thanks everyone for such great ideas that I got from you all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armoire (3).jpg   Armoire.jpg   Armoire (5).jpg   Armoire (4).jpg  

Armoire (2).jpg  

Default Some more photos

Here are the rest of the photos.
    Oh yea, those are Mother of Pearl dots around the drawer pull's and Paua Abalone dots around the eagle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armoire (6).jpg   Armoire (8).jpg   Armoire (9).jpg   Armoire (7).jpg  

Last edited by Smoken D; 03-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.

WHO looks to good , don't let just anyone see it or you will be to busy to get anything else done.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Smoken D,

That's a real tour de force of fine wood craftsmanship. The carvings, inlays, painting, dovetails, raised panels all add up to one fine piece of design and execution. You can be mighty proud and I'm sure she feels the wait was worth it after all that. Just like you I've got to find someone younger to carry these things up out of the shop when I'm done. Maybe I need an apprentice? Great job you did!
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Excellent Work !!!!

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Great job! Wife should be very happy!!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks guys, and yes the wife was very happy with this one. One big smilley face!

What a great piece of furniture....love every aspect of it.

If you didn't live so far away I think I'd sneek over during the night, put it on top my car and head back to Oregon. Oh heck, it would probably put a dent in the top of the car and my husband sure won't like that.

Super job Smoken, your wife will greatly appreciat that. Might even smile very friendly at you around dark. Lots of dovetail work there, especially if you did it by hand. Fit is perfect. Paint and inlay makes a great addition. Good Job!!
    Love to Make the sawdust, But I sure Hate to clean it up.
    U can't find Success unless you have the patience to hang around long enough to find it!!!!
    Website isn't carving related but a good place to buy a auto:
    www.hcautos.com

OMG...That is fantastic. I personally love everything about it; the choice of wood, the stain, the colors...etc. You should be very proud of that and walk a little taller with your chest puffed out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast