Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dracula's crest

Default Dracula's crest

There is a famous ring worn by Bella Lugosi that has a movie version of Dracula's family crest on it. The ring recently sold at auction for quite a bit of money.
    I looked high and low and was unable to find a decent copy of the crest- so eventually I had to illustrate and vector it myself. I saved the final version as a ".png" file and imported the crest into Photoshop where I added layer behind the shield to give it some texture (in this case a rendered cloud effect). I then resaved the ".png" and imported the image into CarveWright designer.

I then made an oval dome with an outer "edge" in Google Sketchup in 3D, which I brought into the CarveWright using the STL importer.

I placed my dome in Designer, then brought in my crest and sized it to fit the dome with a decent margin on all sides.

I then combined the two using Merge Style additive, which did a stellar job of wrapping the crest onto the domed oval.

This is my carving in some 3/4" HDU. I've glued it to some 3/4 plywood to give it some depth and because 1 1/2 " HDU is expensive!! I like to carve in 3/4 when I can and then glue to a thicker backing board to save on expense.

Now it'll get some paint!

Geez....

Another fine piece of artwork by Doug. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

I hope my wife doesn't see it. We are both big horror movie fanatics, and she saw some of the stuff that Doug has already done, and has been asking me to do some as well...
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

Very Nice!! Wish I had the skills!
    Steve

Centerline
    Pattern Editor
    Conforming Vectors
    DXF Importer
    STL Importer
    2D Advanced Tools
    Designer 1.187, 2.007 and **NONE** on Mac OS 10.15.6 and Windows 10 via Parallels on Mac

vERY COOL!

5. Default

That is pretty cool Doug. I still haven't tried carving foam but it sure looks good.

Here it is after cutting it out and doing some minor hand carving on a couple items...and priming it with a little texture.
    I loves me some Dracula...yessir.

Very nice work as usual. Thanks for showing us.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

8. Default

as always .... amazing

Nice! I think you may be, even a little more weird than me, and I like that.

Ahhhh, Vlad the Impaler would be proud of where his reputation has gone. Curious that they only worked one bat into the design. A very handsome rendition Sir.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast