Thread: Shadow Box is Finished

Default Shadow Box is Finished

I had to start a new thread because I maxed out my allowed pictures/videos.

See original thread at: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...adow-Box/page2

Finally finished, just need to surreptitiously get grandpas medals out of dads closet, and mount them. Final image to follow on Saturday!

Found these little goodies in the backroom, forgotten by time!

Back view. An upholsterer friend of mine suggested putting the heavy black paper over the back to hide the bare wood, and seams of the black velvet. Looks sharp, and clean.

These doohickeys are really meant to recess in the back of an object that you want to hang on a wall but they serve the purpose as "swivel tab thingys" to remove the back of the case to add the medals.
    http://www.eischools.org/webpages/hkench/files/4.jpg

Again, some help from my jack of all trades fellow teacher (flight instructor, ase auto mechanic, metal shop teacher, auto-lab teacher, cadd instructor, upholsterer, etc...) It's nice having a guy like him around. If I get stumped, he knows exactly what to do. To bad he is retiring.
    It is the back board for mounting the medals. It has some caret padding, followed by 1/4 foam, followed by black velvet finish. SUPER NICE FINISH!
    Last edited by h_kench; 03-10-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot link
    Hal Kench
    Technology Teacher
    "Tomorrow is your reward for working safely today".

That Looks great Hal
    Shadow boxes are one of my favorite things to make, Because looking at a person's medals and awards is amazing. Especially when you get to here the stories that go with them. Having a box made to protect them and display them is just as proud as wearing them on your chest. Because you can always learn from the past and it shouldn't be forgotten. Can't wait to see the medals mounted in it.
    Last edited by lilskip; 03-10-2011 at 10:15 AM.
    David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

Wow! That turned out great thanks for showing it.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.