Thread: Roubo bookstands w/carvewright

Default Roubo bookstands w/carvewright

Well, My 2 sons' school is having a carnival this Friday and they have a silent auction to raise funds for the classrooms every year.
    LOML and I were going to just give a few bucks or a case or two of copy paper (their classrooms are ALWAYS running low on copy paper) but when my wife mentioned that to my oldest's teacher she remarked "thank you... but... I was kindof hoping your husband could do a little something that he made if it wasn't too much trouble"-- and that she and other teachers were looking forward to seeing what I came up with...
    How could I resist a compliment like that...
    Theme of my youngest's class auction is Mexican or Italian- so LOML bought an italian cookbook and I made a stand with my carvewright. It was my first "roubo style" done on the Carvewright and it cut (significantly) down on the time it took to make a stand as compared to chopping them by hand (I did this for my last one)

The wood is domestic conifer with a quick hit of shellac followed by a gel stain (minwax oak)
    For my youngest I made a stand that is in line with the school mascot-- I'll judge the reactions by the teachers and it is possible I'll make a bunch as teachers' gifts. The total cost of these (1x8x22 for each piece) is well under $2 per stand and the carve goes VERY quickly (around 30 minutes) I made one with a sled and a 1x8 the other I just skipped the sled and used a 1x10 and carved in the "center"
    I'm going to give it a bit of shellac and acrylic paints in the lettering and outline tomorrow.

The notch in the front allows me to seperate the top part without bandsawing the entire top-- I only need to cut off about 2 inches. This significantly cuts down on the fudge factor when resawing.
    Thanks for looking
    Lawrence
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lawrence....those both came out very nicely. I'm sure they will be a great hit at the action and with the teachers. You'd better stock up on wood because of all the requests you are going to get in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    Well, My 2 sons' school is having a carnival this Friday and they have a silent auction to raise funds for the classrooms every year.
    LOML and I were going to just give a few bucks or a case or two of copy paper (their classrooms are ALWAYS running low on copy paper) but when my wife mentioned that to my oldest's teacher she remarked "thank you... but... I was kindof hoping your husband could do a little something that he made if it wasn't too much trouble"-- and that she and other teachers were looking forward to seeing what I came up with...
    How could I resist a compliment like that...
    Theme of my youngest's class auction is Mexican or Italian- so LOML bought an italian cookbook and I made a stand with my carvewright. It was my first "roubo style" done on the Carvewright and it cut (significantly) down on the time it took to make a stand as compared to chopping them by hand (I did this for my last one)

The wood is domestic conifer with a quick hit of shellac followed by a gel stain (minwax oak)
    For my youngest I made a stand that is in line with the school mascot-- I'll judge the reactions by the teachers and it is possible I'll make a bunch as teachers' gifts. The total cost of these (1x8x22 for each piece) is well under $2 per stand and the carve goes VERY quickly (around 30 minutes) I made one with a sled and a 1x8 the other I just skipped the sled and used a 1x10 and carved in the "center"
    I'm going to give it a bit of shellac and acrylic paints in the lettering and outline tomorrow.

The notch in the front allows me to seperate the top part without bandsawing the entire top-- I only need to cut off about 2 inches. This significantly cuts down on the fudge factor when resawing.
    Thanks for looking
    Lawrence
    Nice job! but a question and I'm sure it's just me. I don't understand how it gets assembled, I thought about making one for my niece and nephew.

Thanks,
    Jim
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"

That's the magic of these stands.... there is no assembly.... you carve it, cut the knuckles free (pic 1), bandsaw the pieces free (pic 3) and bob's your uncle. These assembly pics are from one I made without the carvewright, but you can get the idea from it.

Chris Schwarz recently did a video on how he made his by hand-- again, the carvewright version is simpler but the idea is the same
    Here's a link to the free video
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te...ding-bookstand

Hope this helps
    Lawrence

Lawrence great job again. I liked the idea of the slot and cutting from that part. And thanks for your MPC of the project.

Jim --- Here are two websites you may want to look at

part 1 http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.co...kstand-part-1/
    part 2 http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.co...kstand-part-2/

Lawrence does a great job of describing it too. Or do searches on the internet, there are many examples available.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

2 more pics including the final painted coyote one... THe bucket is a "salsa" kit with pepper, tomato, and cilantro seeds, soil, propogators, and plant tags to make salsa

Lawrence

Love your creativity and how you get to the basics of a project. Thanks as always for sharing this one.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Ah I think I get it now.I also came across this video http://youtu.be/JU-rncivcdk
    Last edited by James RS; 03-12-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added a link
    " The Hurdier I Go, The Behinder I Get"