Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shadow Box

Hal, the project looks great and is a wonderful idea for displaying the medals - will be a family heirloom for sure. Thanks also for posting the Plainsawn/Riftsawn/Quartersawn illustrations. Very handy.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Hal, Thanks for posting the Plainsawn/Riftsawn/Quartersawn illustrations, my day isn't wasted as I learned something from that. Had no idea how that was done. And DaveN, you must have a really good eye to catch this, thanks also for bringing this to our attention.

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

WOW... Very NICE !!!!!

There is a BIG Military Market in that stuff... Most Base Papers are now on line and have FREE Want Ads so you could place some ads to get attention.... Word of mouth after that....

Any base's near you and you can place a photo ad on the bulletin board at the base PX, BX or Enchange... what ever they call the Grocery Store...

And having a website really makes you get BUSY.....

ME... My Canadian Fireman friend has me printing the first installment of a over $1K order. Last year they bought out of pocket, this year they have 4 Fire Stations in the budget to buy from me.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by h_kench View Post
    I had to look up what 1/4 sawn was!
    Nice drawing, it could be used in a carving, thanks, BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quartersawn 300 cw.jpg   quartersawn 300_NORM.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

That's turning out to be an AWESOME shadow box-- well done.

May I suggest you pony up the dough for the archival standard glass? UV rays will fade the colors on the ribbon (or any pictures you place inside) quickly. My earliest ribbon rack looks very washed out and it is only 17 years old or so-- good glass in front of it would have been a better idea in my case

I really like your box so far and can't wait to see it completed

Lawrence

Hal,

That really is going to be treasured and you have given him the finest honor. Please extend the congratulations and thanks of all of us who know what his service represented to our Nation. Well Done.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    That's turning out to be an AWESOME shadow box-- well done.

May I suggest you pony up the dough for the archival standard glass? UV rays will fade the colors on the ribbon (or any pictures you place inside) quickly. My earliest ribbon rack looks very washed out and it is only 17 years old or so-- good glass in front of it would have been a better idea in my case

I really like your box so far and can't wait to see it completed

Lawrence
    I wish I had read this suggestion yesterday! I already put the lexan in, and it can't come out.

I'll be sure to use archival glass on my next one.
    thanks
    Hal Kench
    Technology Teacher
    "Tomorrow is your reward for working safely today".

aw darn... well things should be ok as long as the display isn't in the direct sun.
    Many lexan/polycarbonite sheets have UV protectant built in... hopefully you got lucky!
    At any rate, it's not that big a deal -- If you put any pictures in the case just use a high quality print from a photomat and not one from your printer. A 5x7 can be gotten for about .20.

If a flag goes into the case, it is not considered innapropriate to use a uv protectant spray on the flag to prevent fading (and ruining) a servicable flag.
    I use "nikwax tent and gear solarproofer" and get it for around $20 from amazon. Good (cloth) flags do not seem to fade much but the cheaper nylon ones can fade in a matter of weeks (DAMHIKT)

As for the ribbons, I think the new inks just fade faster than the old ones did-- they still look fine though a bit washed out.

I can't wait to see the finished pic-- it's gonna be awesome
    Lawrence

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12