Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Box

Default Shadow Box

Backstory: About 2 years ago, I submitted paperwork to get copies of all Army medals awarded to my wife's late grandpa. He fought all over the place in WWII and has a nice collection of tin. Sadly, he had the shell shock to go with it.
    I took a year, but we finally got them.
    Then we presented to them as a surprise to her father.

He loved it, and takes them out once in a while to show to my little guys.

So her dad's b-day is on Friday. Monday she says, "I don't know what to get him, can you build him a shadow box for the medals?". And she seals the deal by saying, "Or I could go to Michael's Crafts and buy one".

Michael's is a great store, but their wood working stuff is crap to a man that knows and has a healthy respect for wood (Curb Your Enthusiasm reference there).

So I say, "no way", I'll make him something nice.

Here is what I have so far.

It's made from oak, with the 2 odd colored pieces being some type of exotic wood we had laying around the shop.

Simple box frame, with dado cut around the perimeter for the plastic to slide into.

The back will be removable, and held in with clips. Maybe a piece of corkboard with black felt overlay.

When I make my shadow box for my medals, I'll pretty much do the same, but make it in a way that it can be assembled, varnished, then glass slid in.

The current design requires it to be varnished, then glass put in place, then assembled.

Final pics to follow.
    (a picture is worth a thousand words, but a video gets it into your noggin. Disclaimer: The video was shot one handed, with a blackberry. Quality is pretty bad. Can't wait to get my Droid!)

See video of the project here:
    http://www.eischools.org/webpages/hk...%5Fmovie%2Em4v

Last edited by h_kench; 03-09-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added video
    Hal Kench
    Technology Teacher
    "Tomorrow is your reward for working safely today".

1 hours and 15 minutes of carve time on "best".
    I get the nice arcs by having the carvewright carve a very shallow pass, and I do the rest of the work following the pass on the bandsaw.
    Hal Kench
    Technology Teacher

Great design! I know Dad will be more than pleased to have it to display the medals with pride!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Looks great. and please post the final pictures as I'm sure they will be as good. And if you will when he gets all his metals mounted send a picture of that too. Thanks

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

looks great!
    On back you could post a note telling when and where he served.
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

That looks great I'm sure he will love. Can't wait to see it with the medals mounted in it.
    David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

7. Default

Really nice, My brother is retiring from the police department in a few months. You gave me a great idea for him.

Quote Originally Posted by h_kench View Post
    It's made from oak, with the 2 odd colored pieces being some type of exotic wood we had laying around the shop.
    The top piece looks like 1/4 sawn white oak and the other looks like rift white oak. Very nice.

That will be a special shadow box for her dad.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Default 1/4 sawn vs. Riftsawn vs. Plainsawn

Quote Originally Posted by DaveN View Post
    The top piece looks like 1/4 sawn white oak and the other looks like rift white oak. Very nice.
    I had to look up what 1/4 sawn was!
    Hal Kench
    Technology Teacher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast