Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I do with these boxes....

Speaking of chip carving and vector V bits, I have a need for a little help. When you put three circles together (hexagonal close-pack symmetry for the crystalographers out there), you have an intersection of a triangle with slightly curved lines. I need this shape (the interior of the triangle) cut with a 90 degree bit to a depth of 1/8" to 3/16".
    If I try three circles and apply a V (90), moving them together creates a prominent line the full depth of the V. Doing the circles as a carve area results in a rough shape approximating what I need, however, rough, being a raster rather than a vector. I thought about using some font with a centerline cut, but haven't found anything close enough.
    The triangles are about 1/4" corner to corner. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00017 (Small).JPG   Overland O's small ssction.gif  
    Last edited by earlyrider; 03-04-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Hi Ron,

Here is a non raster, vector test version using "Depth profile" for the center hub. "Depth profile" is a powerful option that most people seem to forget about.. I use it on my violins... of coarse you would make random curves to look old and handmade like, but it would carve like the dickens..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ChipPR001.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-04-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Thats pretty close. When I tried the depth profile originally, it wasn't comming out too well; I just didn't try enough profiles I guess.
    Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by earlyrider View Post
    Thats pretty close. When I tried the depth profile originally, it wasn't coming out too well; I just didn't try enough profiles I guess.
    Thanks
    Ron
    Hi Ron,
    Thanks, I think you could import your raster version and add the vertex paths over the carving to get it right, would take some work but then you colud just copy and paste, just spit balling.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-04-2011 at 01:37 AM.

I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Hi Ron,

Here is a non raster, vector test version using "Depth profile" for the center hub. "Depth profile" is a powerful option that most people seem to forget about.. I use it on my violins... of coarse you would make random curves to look old and handmade like, but it would carve like the dickens..
    Hi LG,

That's an excellent example of creativity and gives a glimpse of what can be accomplished using the vector tools in Designer. Thanks for posting that.

I started writing a Tips & Tricks specifically about the Designer vector tools, the DXF Importer and so on, but I put it on the back-burner temporarily. I need to go ahead and wrap it up (it was intended for Jan/Feb 2011). There is a lot of cool stuff we can do using just vectors and the Depth Profile features!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

That's an excellent example of creativity and gives a glimpse of what can be accomplished using the vector tools in Designer. Thanks for posting that.
    Just took a few seconds to make and I did not need any fancy bloated 2000.00 software to boot!!! < smiles> to be clear "Depth profile" tools have been in the software before 1.126, over three years now?
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-04-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Just took a few seconds to make and I did not need any fancy bloated 2000.00 software to boot!!! < smiles> to be clear "Depth profile" tools have been in the software before 1.126, over three years now?
    Yes, I think I recall those tools were in 1.119-1.120...they have been around for a very long time!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

The depth profile worked to satisfaction. The only real problem was apparently overloading Designer with ovals and vector "triangles". The program aborted several times. Eventually found a happy medium, and ended with an area about 12X8. I'll only have to cut 9 of these to assemble a master pattern for molding a repro of a front floormat of a 1917 Overland Touring.
    Ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overland O's vector rev final (Small).gif   DSC00015 (Small).JPG  

Very Cool Ron! I did hear this type of carving can be a little stressful on the CW due to the roller interaction..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast