Thread: Non climate controll shops and carvewright?

Default Non climate controll shops and carvewright?

My shop is only heated when I go out to work in it, with the heating and cooling of my shop I have to keep my cast iron tools clean and protected from rust. I also have box fans above them that helps to keep the dry.

What do you do to keep the electrical and metal components protected from condensation?

I cover all of my metal tools with the large terry-cloth towels. This has completely stopped the rust on my large cast iron tools like my table saw. Sure the towels are expensive, but not as much as a table saw.
    Last edited by Deolman; 03-03-2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Surfaces like table saw, band saw, and just about any iron tools, I use paste wax to coat them. This has worked for me, I have a new table saw in the barn (brother-in-laws) I put wax on the top and it has no rust. His band saw is a different story, the table on it is rusted bad.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I'm a fan of both Johnson's Paste wax and Bo-Shield spray for my cast iron table top surfaces and anti-rust vapor packets available at good on-line woodworking tool houses.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I use TopCote at home and at work.
    http://www.neverseezproducts.com/woo...Fcbd4Aod8keVAw

Sorry I ment how do you protect the carvewright from condensation when you only heat your shop when using the shop

Quote Originally Posted by jaustin View Post
    Sorry I ment how do you protect the carvewright from condensation when you only heat your shop when using the shop
    Jaustin, I too only heat my shop when I use it. I have a 30' by 40' steel building and had terrible condensation because my shop was not insulated. I split my shop in half to protect my 67 Firebird and the other half is my shop 20' by 30' and it is insulated and no more condensation! The temperature in my area is anywhere from below zero to an average of 30 degrees. So when cold no problem and then with my wood stove I heat my shop an average of 70 degrees and above and never had any condensation. Matter of fact all my other tools have not rusted.

So if your shop is not insulated I suggest doing it! Not only does it control condensation, but keeps your shop toasty warm!

Ike

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jaustin View Post
    This isn't gonna help you much. Being basiclly lazy, I havent done anything since 2007. From -20 in the winters to 105 in the summer and only heated in the winter when I'm working out there. I keep the carvewright clean, lube when needed, turn on the 155,000 btu heater 20 minutes before I go out. I also turn on the DC to draw warm air through the machine for the same 20 minutes. This warms it up and (I think) gets rid of any moisture. No problems in 4 years and almost 1000 hours of carve time.

if you put up sheetrock and dont paint it you will not have moisture problems.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com