I'm getting tired of walking around my poor little Carvewright, buried deep inside her original box, and even more tired of dreaming of all the projects that she can carve out... ...so much so, that I've designed (more importantly, gotten my Wife's approval for) a 12' x 16' workshop, that begins construction in April.

<...insert picture of very happy me, right here...>

I've spent the last few nights designing everything in Sketchup, and believe I have my completed draft ready to go.

Of course, it wouldn't be complete without the cutaway view, where I've placed some helpful Google 3D images as placeholders! (Note the nice enclosure I'd designed as well, which was 'step one' so that I could use my CarveWright outside on my deck until my shed is complete!)

Also note the storage system, developed to store all of my tools and what-have-you. This was actually a major requirement, as our house has no basement and limited storage. I figure 24 storage bins should do the trick! All-in-all, I've designed the workshop to accommodate my 'future requirements', which include building my own 4' x 4' capable CNC machine to complement the CarveWright system...

My Wife and I (who work together for the same company, by the way) are going to Home Depot at lunch to do some cost analysis. With my terrible math skills, I've already guesstimated that this project will cost in the area of $1500 - $3000. I know, that's a horrible estimate. But, if companies like Home Depot, Lowes and others would just post their lumber costs online, this would be a whole heck of a lot easier.

What I DO know is this. My Project includes seventeen 12' 2x4's, ONE HUNDRED AND ONE 8' 2x4's, fourteen 12' 2x6's, four 8' 2x6's, FORTY-FIVE sheets of 4'x8' plywood (*) and twelve Dek-Block concrete blocks.

* This is where I'm doing some investigation. Technically, I have four 'sections' whereby different materials could be used - the deck, the exterior walls, the roof, and the interior. The forty-five sheets of 4'x8' could technically be one of several different types of materials: pressure treated plywood, regular plywood, OSB and/or possibly drywall for the interior. I am going to be painting the exterior, so the wood will need to stand up to the regular Canadian winter. I'll also be putting shingles on the roof, so that's another consideration.

Overall, I'm excited to get started. Once we have our plans in place, and our lumber sourced, I'll be really excited to see everything delivered!

Rick // The DurhamDev