Thread: Using external graphics packages...

Default Using external graphics packages...

Hi all,

Ok, this is - I guess - my second foray into the 'newb' questions... ...and I'm hoping it's a simple answer that will help me out a lot.

If I'm working on a graphic in my graphic package (I use Ulead PhotoImpact X3, but could start working in Photoshop CS5 if I had to) and want to bring it in to the CarveWright Designer, what's the best way of doing it? Is it simply a 'copy and paste', as I've been trying? (I've had mixed results, I think, to say the least.) Here is what I have been doing: I draw a circle, with a thick outer edge and NO fill (for example) and then select it. I click copy and then in CWD, I paste it in. It imports as a pattern (yes?) and I click the 'lower' arrow once, so that there isn't a 'frame' around the image, if I want just the circle... ...and even then, the inside and outside edges of the circle are being cut.

Here is a pic of my graphic...

...and here is a pic of CarveWright Designer does:

What I would hope to see is the circle fully carved out... ...and whoops. I think I might just have figured it out. I *just* clicked "Invert" and there it is, as I envisioned it. So, I guess I'll ask these two questions. One, is this how it's done? Two, is this the best way to do it, to get the best quality image?

Am I doing this right? Thanks, in advance!

Rick // The DurhamDev

p.s. Oh, I figured out another question. As this becomes a 'pattern', once it has been imported, is there no way to import vectors, so that I can utilize the 'conform' part of the software? (I have purchased both the Centreline and Vector add-ons... ...in case that makes a difference.)
    Last edited by DurhamDev; 02-19-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamDev View Post
    As this becomes a 'pattern', once it has been imported, is there no way to import vectors, so that I can utilize the 'conform' part of the software? (I have purchased both the Centreline and Vector add-ons... ...in case that makes a difference.)

You currently have two options for importing vectors. You can use the free ai2mpc (search the forum or google) or you can purchase the dxf importer. I got along just fine using ai2mpc before I finally broke down and shelled out the $ for the dxf importer. DXF importer does offer several options that are not available way.
    Doug Fletcher

3. Default

To get quality pattern and accurate measurement from external graphic software you must start with a graphic image at 128 dpi resolution and save as .PNG file type. For example, if you have a 3"x4" at 128 dpi resolution when you import it to CWD it will become a pattern at 3"x4". The black/darkest part = the depth and white/lightest part = the height of the pattern.
    H. T.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Friends Don't Let Friends Use bad patterns!
    For high quality patterns please email me or check out my website at: http://carvenow.com . Thanks!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *