Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The difference in quality for larger projects...

Quote Originally Posted by DurhamDev View Post
    Asked and answered! Here is my original paint design, as well as what I've converted to four levels of greyscale, and the two parts of the MPC. I appreciate the feedback! (...and feel free to critique me on design as well as idea. As you can see, I live by "go big or go home!")
    Not sure about your "B" MPC ??? I don't think you can carve off the board edge on the KEY PAD SIDE, you can carve off the board on the other side. I think you need a 1/4 or 1/2 inch on that side. To carve off the the edge on the "B" mpc you could carve it on the rear side of a board.

The pattern should make a great carving on normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Key pad side carving.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 02-26-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I do see jagged edges on your lettering. It looks to me as if this is caused by your starting from a relatively low-resolution image. These jagged edges will not go away with a 'best' setting. If you have or can get a higher-resolution image from which to start, I would recommend it.
    I actually designed it in PhotoImpact, and had set it to the proper 128dpi resolution but not to the appropriate larger size. I've since uploaded a bigger file, and have made the appropriate modifications as laid out by the others. GOOD NEWS, I think it fixed it up!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
    I saw those too. If they are to be smooth you will have to use a chisel and clean them up before sanding. Save the carve time and use it for chisel and sanding. It is a great looking sign! Remember, what you see in designer is what you will see in the carving.. The higher resolution and larger size image you start off with the better off you will be. Like DickB said..
    Thanks a lot! I wasn't aware you could clean it up as much as you could, using the settings in the pattern designer. I'm much happier with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    To help the jagged edges, in pattern editor or what program Rick is using. A little Gaussian blur and/or de-noise will smooth it out.
    I did exactly as you mentioned, and WOW!!! It worked perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by www.carvenow.com View Post
    I would take it in consideration. Use best or optimal mode when an object required a lots details. Carving a pendant for example, if you can with the CW. A sign mostly don't need a lot of detail since they are always looked from a far distance. Base on my experienced, there are almost no different in quality between normal and best except for the time it take to carve. So for a big sign I would use normal to save time.
    Good to know! I'm going to try it on Normal, and see what we see!

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Not sure about your "B" MPC ??? I don't think you can carve off the board edge on the KEY PAD SIDE, you can carve off the board on the other side. I think you need a 1/4 or 1/2 inch on that side. To carve off the the edge on the "B" mpc you could carve it on the rear side of a board. The pattern should make a great carving on normal.
    I've since modified the graphics, and would love the feedback. Unfortunately, each file is now 4MB, and too large for the forum... I think it looks as it should, now, but if there are any other recommendations, I'm open to them!
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

We're looking forward to seeing photos of your carved sign incorporating the changes and suggestions you have added to the designs. Time to put bit to board. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

i would always stick with 300 to 400 dpi if possible. some graphics programs with let your resize the dpi and fix some low res jpgs.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12