Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse - Project of the Month March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Carver View Post
    I think every other log is set to different depth. Are you staying under the rollers?
    Hi,

The front and back panel patterns are set for the overall depth @ 0.375"...the side panel patterns are set for the overall depth @ 0.300". This is exactly correct.

The preview in Designer shows accurately how the carve will look when completed. There is "something else" going on at th OP's end. We are still in the process of figuring out...machine issue...pilot error...??
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I had some thoughts on this problem of flat spots on the Logs......

All are Mechanical in nature and will require some investigating....

1. My first thought was that IF a in feed or out feed tray was adjusted too high then a board cranked down while resting on this high roller. Then the Project Height would be on the surface of the board and HIGH. So the project cuts and at some point the board drops off that high infeed roller, most likely the one to the right of the keypad. At that time the board is lower and the carving is shallower and hence the logs have flat spots on the TOP that is caused because the board is physically lower now.... So a In Feed and Out Feed Height Check is in order.

2. My second thought is the screw on the right side of the Keypad UNDER the machine that goes into the smooth Vertical Rail. I was talking to MT today and years ago we both had that same screw come loose letting the head move vertically and especially if the rubber rollers had to roll over some sawdust.... That would give you this situation where the head raised and the logs were not cut to depth properly.

3. This is not likely but worth just looking at... Head Level.... Crank a wide board in the machine and using a bit and the Z Data measure each side.

4. This also not likely but worth looking at... A Rolled under belt on the left side and keypad side...

5. And last but not least... possible a loose Y Bearing letting the head twist.... But 1 and 2 are more likely...

Since it happened more than once in the same place, I eliminate a loose Z Encoder Wheel.

Good Luck,

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

3. Default

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG6040.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	61025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG6041.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	61026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG6037.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	61027
    Well i didn't conserve the length, it was cut by the MC from a 6ft stock to the stated 34 1/2" and double checked with a tape measure. I have done other projects with pieces larger than this and they turned out fine since the last time i tried to do this project. As you can see from the photos, the editing i done worked fine and the pieces fit together fine and are square.

Super-glad to see you were able to get 'er done! Still somewhat of a mystery what caused your initial problem with the changing z causing too much material being shaved off at that half of the board layout.

My money was on a "board drop" on one end, causing "board-raise" on the other, bringing it closer to the carving bit as it fed through. (My two prime suspects became...too short of a board leaving the pressure rollers and/or outfeeds out of line with each other). AL offered several ideas for things to check. Might be worthwhile to investigate those too when you have a chance.

In any case, holler if you need further help nailing down the root-cause.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I’m trying to locate this POM (March 2011) to purchase and download, but have been unable to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nevermind... I found it.
    Thanks anyway
    Last edited by PCOutlaw; 03-18-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by PCOutlaw View Post
    I’m trying to locate this POM (March 2011) to purchase and download, but have been unable to find it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Nevermind... I found it.
    Thanks anyway
    Glad you found it! The new organization groups the Projects by "difficulty level" category. Honestly, I think it makes it tougher to locate a particular project now. I've had some difficulty finding my own projects too, since I cannot always recall what category a project is in.

Not sure what the solution is...perhaps arrange alphabetically as before? Any suggestions/ideas would be welcome!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I think everyone was so use to the old site's search function not working that it is not used like it could be. Works great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Plus, you can look up by project vendor...

CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I think everyone was so use to the old site's search function not working that it is not used like it could be. Works great now.

Thanks, Connie. I didn't even think of using the Search feature! I need to try that! (as long as I can remember what the name of a project is!)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345