Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse - Project of the Month March 2011

Default Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse - Project of the Month March 2011

Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month (for MARCH 2011), called the Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse. Spring is just around the corner, and here is a ‘just-in-time’ project for your backyard feathered friends nesting season! The Hunter’s Cabin Birdhouse features a log cabin style complete with a gently curved 'shingled' roof, plus a simple nail-hinged side panel for easy cleaning. The crooked wooden stovepipe chimney is an optional item you can create from scrap dowels to add an additional touch of charm to this rustic cabin birdhouse.

The project requires no special bits and uses just the two standard bits that came with your machine. The overall finished dimensions of the assembled Hunter’s Cabin Birdhouse project are about 7" wide x 9" tall x 10" long.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Cabin_Birdhouse_Panels.mpc
    • Shingled_Roof.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
    Birdhouse Panels: 0.75" x 9.25" x 34.5"
    Shingled Roof: 0.75" x 11" x 20"
    Bottom: approx. 5.5" x 5.5" (not an MPC)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) 1¼" 3d finish nails, one 1" #6 brass screw, scrap lengths of 1¼", 5/8", and 1/8" diameter wooden dowels, four popsicle sticks

4) Wood glue, sandpaper, wood putty, stain and/or paint and clear finish, table saw to cut roof miter joint, drill and bits, belt sander to form stovepipe cone

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my “Hunter's Cabin Birdhouse” project made from Select Pine:

• Minwax Express Color water-based Emerald (tube) on roof
    • Minwax Vermont Maple water-based stain (can) on cabin
    • Minwax Dark Walnut #2716 on “stovepipe”
    • Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray

NOTE: Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice to the exterior only. Avoid applying any finishing materials on the inside. This is according to information I found regarding birdhouse building. Apparently, most finishes are toxic to birds. It might be alright to use a “food-safe” clear finish on the interior. However, I did not try that myself and I left the inside completely unfinished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear_Iso_View_350x320.jpg   Front_Iso_View_350x316.jpg   Front_Iso_View_Side_Open_350x280.jpg  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-23-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Michael,

Love the project and it is just in time for spring.

You were correct per our phone conversation I am surprised with it.

Could change the hole size for different type of birds.

Wonderful project. looking forward to carving it.
    Last edited by rcdages; 02-23-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

Nice! Well done!

Thanks, guys!

Yes, the hole size in the distributable MPC is set to 1½" diameter, but can be reduced/enlarged as desired. (I made mine a little larger at 1¾" dia. hoping to suit a type of dove in our area - we'll see if I guessed right...or see what bird it actually attracts!)
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-23-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Really great. Just in time because I could use some new bird houses!

Michael, is this a hanging bird house or made to mount on a pole with a plate? I like it, thanks

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Michael great design and project.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by CarverJerry View Post
    Michael, is this a hanging bird house or made to mount on a pole with a plate? I like it, thanks

CJ
    Hi CJ,

I'm leaving it up to the individual to decide whether to hang it, attach it to a shelf or bracket on a tree trunk or mount it on a post. Really depends on the type of birds in the area and the environment. My wife wants me to mount mine on a tree near a back window so she can keep an eye on it in case some birds take residence! My plan was to mount it in a more 'heavily foliaged' tree in front of the garage, so it would be more secluded. But, of course, what mamma wants, mamma gets!
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-23-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    Really great. Just in time because I could use some new bird houses!
    Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Michael great design and project.
    Thanks - I've been wanting to make a birdhouse project "forever". I have a bunch of ideas for other styles too!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Just a quick FYI...I added a page to the POM instructions that offers a few guidelines for entrance hole sizing and other related birdhouse info!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast