Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with Designer

Default Frustrated with Designer

Ok i think this is where this question should be. What I am trying to do is make a flag case lid with a 1in wide frame. I main proble I guess is I am spoiled my Sketchup and miss the measure tools and such that I rely on to make things accurate. Basicly what I am doing in Designer is making my Triangle with a 23.75 base length. and 16.75 short sides. i figured I could copy the triangle and reduce it down a bit and put evern thing on center and I would be good, but it didn't work. I would like to know how to do this so I can make a basic lid to work from. AAAAAAHHHHHHH Designer is frustrating i feel so limited. Sorry about that had to get it out there before I go into a software bashing Rant. I have Photoshop, sketchup, Autocad, Paint, Coral Draw and Designer with Pattern Editor Addon. I have watched the Videos from Askbud and i can't find one that covers what I am trying to do. I'll hold my 2 sided carving question until I can make the the Font to work. Thanks for the help.
    David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

First off it would help to see your mpc of what you are actually trying to do. As I mentioned before you can use sketch up and Corel draw and import it into the designer. First share the mpc and I bet we can help. You may want to invest in the DFX software?

Oh one other thing I reread your measurements and the maximum width you can make a project is 14.5" ( you can squeeze it to 15", but 14,5" is recommended) and the length is 8' recommended. Of course depending on the angle you may get the width you want? I am going to try, before putting my foot in my mouth! What is the height from the top to bottom?

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 02-22-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Triangle with stated dimensions should have a height of app 11.81 - well within the limitations.

lilskip - check your pm

-ken
    Ya gotta have a dream - otherwise you're just sleeping!

Well her is as far as i got. I have started it its really nothing to it yet. It took me a while just to get the Triangle with the correct angles. i have made alot more of these Casket Flag Cases than i wish to have and I am just trying to dress up the front with a Carved Frame with at EGA suspended in the Center of the Frame. i know I could draw it and import it from Sketckup. But its a simple triangle frame that shouldn't be this hard to lay out much less have to spend an extra 199 to make two triangles and have them evenly spaced inside one another accurately. All I want is a measurement Tool in Designer. Once again I don't want to get into a Rant on the software that I haven't mastered yet. much less do it on here and make people angry. i will appreciate any Suggestions and And Tips...
    Thanks
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

I work in Corel and Designer. A Tip that may help you is if you need a dimension on the project, I make Electronic Rulers... Just a thin Rectangle made to what ever dimension you need. Then move it around the project making things line up. A Electronic Measuring Stick in Designer.....

Now the 2 Sided Question.... Something I do all the time to line up the backside of my Signs is just place a Drill Hole in the front at key places that when you flip the board act as a Refrence...

If you draw a shape and when you go to re size it, you get strange fly out of place stuff... I had trouble making my Plastic Tag Art with the rounded corners. When I changed sizes of the Box I would sometimes end up with Micky Mouse ears for the rounded corners.

I found that by making the rectangle with the rounded corners then make the object like my box or your triangle into a Carve Region. I then use Tools and Outline. Then I delete the carve region and first line drawing. I can now re size the outline with not shift in the corners.

If you don't have Centerline Text, it will help and getting Contour is GREAT too.... Well worth the Money.....

Watch out for Restraints.... Angles, lengths and more numbers that have changed to YELLOW locking a value... Right Click on them and remove the Restraint... Many have had strange results carving because a value was locked to the board edge or centerline and the board was bigger in reality and it caused shifts in objects.... And when you Flip the board... Same problem....

One more thing... I design every project as a place on End or Corner. Using Center causes the board to measure twice.... A Waste of Machine Servo Time...

I design in a 4 inch dead area on the right side of designer. This keeps the front of the board under the roller. A Board only being held by one roller will soon cost you $40.00 for a Cut Bit... As it binds and snaps when the board tips up.... I leave my project board long to cover the back roller...

Masking Tape... I use it all the time on the brass roller path.... Acts like a Rack and Pinion...

And if you cut Oak or Maple then a few strips on the bottom of the wood helps keep the board from slipping on the sand paper belts.... Yes... It has happened....

A lot more than you asked for but I needed to get in my Hourly Post.... LOL....

Good Luck,

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-22-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Default triangles

Try this one and see if the dimensions will work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by keninar View Post
    Try this one and see if the dimensions will work.
    Ok I think i see the Problem after looking at the one that Ken did we pretty much did the same thing but what I see the main difference is that Designer doesn't center Triangles worth a poo and I will have do some creative eyeballing and measureing. cause using the center both option is what is throwing it off.....Grrrrr Why can't i have a measurement tool. looks like i'll try the digital rectangle ruler mentioned by Al. Grrrrr Why can't i have a measurement tool....HAHAHA. Its just a software conflict(Me Conflicting with the Software).
    Thanks Guys for the help.
    David
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

Yep - can't center both!
    Keep and eye on the yellow length and green angle attributes (which are both user defineable) and things get a bit easier. (Especially when you know the dimensions and angles they are supposed to be!!

Good Luck! Looking forwrd to seeing the finished product.

-ken

Hey Al, you said... If you don't have Centerline Text, it will help and getting Contour is GREAT too.... Well worth the Money.....
    what is Contour and what does it do? I love my Centerline Text and the comforming text add on, (just think it should have been already in with centerline text for what we had to pay for it)

CJ
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

10. Default

I must be missing something here. Are you saying the layout grid isn't working for you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast