Thread: My first Project with the CW

Default My first Project with the CW

This is a Career Box I made yesterday for my Best Friend who is in the hospital, that I have served proudly with for 12 years in the Marine Corp. Several mos ago when his sitiation started turning bad he gave me a Bag full of all the Name patches and other patches that he and I have both worn over the years. He asked me to make a frame for them to give to his family. After holding on to them and thinking about it I came up with this. Its a footlocker that meaures 16x9x9 and has all his patches inlayed into it. Usually I do this kind of stuff with my router by hand which takes alot longer cause you have to make the templates and try them, tweak them and then put it on the project. But with the help of Photoshop and my new CW it cut the time in half. I still have alot to read on this machine and alot of videos to watch from ASKBUD. But it will be fun learning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-02-20 16.29.44.jpg   2011-02-20 16.29.27.jpg   2011-02-20 16.29.02.jpg   2011-02-20 16.30.11.jpg  

2011-02-20 16.29.53.jpg  
    David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-20 15.36.52.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	481.6 KB 
ID:	42349Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-20 15.36.31.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	475.1 KB 
ID:	42348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-02-20 15.36.41.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	42347
    Here are a few from the Build up. you can see all the Different Inlay areas. Don't mind the Messy shop in the back ground. The way I look at it is (If you spend all your time cleaning then that leaves less time for the fun stuff, you can clean when your done.)
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

Outstanding project idea, I'm sure it will be a Wonderful Family Keepsake
    Very well Done!

It doesn't matter what a shop looks like --- It's what you get out of it the really Counts
    Last edited by Kenm810; 02-21-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

4. Default

That is a great project ... anyone would be honored to have it.

5. Default

Im interested in how you got the inlay sizes right. Did you scan the patches into photoshop and then just transfer the outlines into the cw designer software? Did you have a hard time getting the size right?

I took a Picture of them with my trusty all purpose Android phone with a white background then imported it into Photoshop and used the Magic wand tool to seperate it and then used the STROKE and FILL feature under the Edit menu to out line it in black. outlined it on the inside of the different peices because when I would import it into Designer the outlines would be on the outside of it for some reason. I haven't figured all the things out in Designer But I'll get it. But the Process in Photoshop I figured out when I did my Inlays with the router( Print out the outlines and Spray glue them to the board). I might have made it a little harder cause I don't know the Designer software but I figured stick with what you know until you learn a better way. But as far as getting the size right I take the pictures with a Machine Ruler and then lock the Masure ment to keep the scale.
    David Greer
    Find Me on Facebook

Great job it turned out fantastic looking. Thanks for showing it.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Great project, and I'm sure it will be a cherished keepsake.
    Rocky

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lilskip View Post
    I took a Picture of them with my trusty all purpose Android phone with a white background then imported it into Photoshop and used the Magic wand tool to seperate it and then used the STROKE and FILL feature under the Edit menu to out line it in black. outlined it on the inside of the different peices because when I would import it into Designer the outlines would be on the outside of it for some reason. I haven't figured all the things out in Designer But I'll get it. But the Process in Photoshop I figured out when I did my Inlays with the router( Print out the outlines and Spray glue them to the board). I might have made it a little harder cause I don't know the Designer software but I figured stick with what you know until you learn a better way. But as far as getting the size right I take the pictures with a Machine Ruler and then lock the Masure ment to keep the scale.
    Thanks I wonder If I could scan objects into a graphics program then continue with just what you did. I have police patches that I think would be great imbeded in plaques etc. Thanks again for telling me how you did it.