Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Guy WIP Pistol Grips - Advice Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    ...Before cleaning up the rough edges on the sides I am already about 1/8" too narrow.
    Hello,

You may be able to gain some "wiggle room" by using the Inset Function on your Cut Path. Negative inset will move the bit away from the piece (positive numbers move the bit inwards). If you are losing 1/16" around the perimeter as-is, then try an inset of -0.063" to move the bit 1/16" outwards from your Cut Path. You can apply up to 0.125" inset (positive or negative) for the cutting bit on a Cut Path.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-20-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hello,

You may be able to gain some "wiggle room" by using the Inset Function on your Cut Path. Negative inset will move the bit away from the piece (positive numbers move the bit inwards). If you are losing 1/16" around the perimeter as-is, then try an inset of -0.063" to move the bit 1/16" outwards from your Cut Path. You can apply up to 0.125" inset (positive or negative) for the cutting bit on a Cut Path.
    I had found another thread that mentioned doing something similar. My concern was that by doing that it would also increase the length of the pieces which is currently correct. Also I was guessing it would just create a wider shelf along the side edges instead of continuing the gradual slope.

Liquid guitars suggestion gives me the idea to shape a 1/8" wider set by hand and then scan them. That would be a bit faster for me than the bondo idea.

Another idea I had was to figure out how to separate the 2 grips in the scan and then just stretch the width of each image.
    Mark Farley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12