Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Resize rectangle with rounded corners

Thanks for the advice. Using the yellow triangles is closer to what I was hoping for, but it is difficult to get a precise measurement when dragging. the various mpc files that "didn't fit" on the board were examples of what kept happening when trying to resize.

I think I got it figured out, I just wish the software was a bit more intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by cholme View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Using the yellow triangles is closer to what I was hoping for, but it is difficult to get a precise measurement when dragging. the various mpc files that "didn't fit" on the board were examples of what kept happening when trying to resize.

I think I got it figured out, I just wish the software was a bit more intuitive.
    You know once you unlock all constraint you can use the measurement boxes for width-length and set the precise size. So are you trying to make a rectangle with rounded corners? Then you said the mpc does not fit the board? I know this may sound silly, but you know the maximum board width is 14.5" and the maximum recommended length is 8'.

I have Corel Draw and I can basically make any shape and import it to the designer. You can copy and import from the clip board. Works about the same as using Corel and importing into V-Carve Pro. But if you are making a simple rectangle with rounded corners then you should be able to get the exact size you need.

If you like tell us what size you want and I am sure one of us can help and tell you how it was done! Sorry I am confused by the 2 mpc you post, which isn't hard to do! Maybe Michael knows what you are looking for?

Anyway I hope this helped or give us some information!

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 02-18-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    the maximum recommended length is 8'.
    Well, actually Maximum is 12'; 8' would be more realistic, but there is also a 20 lb. limit too.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

You can use the Grid function; you can set the grid squares to any size up to two inches. "Lock/Snap to the grid."

Welcome to the Forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snap to grid.jpg  
    Last edited by bjbethke; 02-18-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Here is a rectangle with rounded corners I wanted 6" by 10". All the corners have the same radius and the 4 sides are equal. I do not have the constraint locked and you can re-size by just changing the width and length or by using the yellow arrows. This should be a exact rectangle all corners are the same radius and the lines are equal. So it can be the size you want.

I hope this is what you are looking to achieve?

Ike

Well I went back and you can re-size it with the arrows and get it close to another size. Say 8" long by 4" wide, you can get the 8" and the 4 is off by a bit. But you should be able to get the exact size you want the first try!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ike; 02-18-2011 at 02:43 PM.

You might think about saving your rectangle as a pattern,
    that you can re-size and use any time you wish or need to.
    Something like what I just did with Ike's rectangle rounded corner.mpc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Round Cornered Rectangles.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ken

Ver 1.182 on XL Pro plus Ver 1.164 and 1.175 on Windows 7 Ultimate
    It Never Fails * Till * You Say It Never Fails

Hi cholme,

A tip...

Let's say you want a 5" x 8" rectangle with the rounded corners at a 1" radius...

• Set up the Snap Grid for 1" spacing.

• Draw the rectangle using the Connected Lines Tool, but at the corners you want to stop short of the width and length by 1" at each corner juncture and draw the corners at a 45 degree angle with straight lines. With the "Snap to Grid" turned on, this is very easy to do.

• Now you should have a closed shape with the chamfered (45 degree) corners.

• Now, select the "Change To Arc Tool" and simply click once on each of the four 45 degree angled lines...they will instantly snap to a perfect 1" radius arc.

If you are still unclear on these steps, please let me know and I'll see if I can take a few screenshots for you.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

See what I miss working all day to get a order out to the Post Office before it closed... I miss all this gooooooood stuff..... Need to take more breaks...

I posted a GOOD answer to this problem a few months ago...... I ran into the SAME problem with the rounded corners for my Fire Tags. As I charged the sizes of my Rectangles with rounded corners... I even watched Ask Bud's Video on how to draw the rounded corners...

I have some tag blanks here that were cut on that sheet when I changed a whole sheet of 1.5 x 3 tags to a sheet of 1.5 x 4.... One end of the tags have Micky Mouse EARS.... I sand them and use them for SAMPLES.....

What I found works GREAT for me is to draw the PERFECT Rectangle with rounded corners and the correct scale or ratio. Then I make it a Carve Region.... Then I Use TOOLS and Outline Pattern. I then Delete the Carve Region and the first PERFECT Rectangle leaving only the OUTLINE... I then assign a Cutting Bit like the 1/16 End Mill or in Designer, the 1/16 Bull Nose. Now you can just grab a side and make it bigger or smaller with no Micky Mouse Ears.... And Yes all my restraints were removed.

Last night I was starting a NEW Product, a 1.5 x 5 Tag with Rings for the LufKin, TX Fire Dept. In Designer I took my 1.5 x 3 CNC Tag sheet renamed the file. I erased a few rows of 1.5 x 3 tags and the selected 1 row of 1.5 x 3 tags and grabbing the left side and watching the size on the Designer display stretched it out to 5.1 inches wide. I now had a row of 1.5 x 5 tags. I copied and duplicated then adjusted the location. Uploaded the project and off to the Wood Shop to cut it..... While I listened on the Intercom and worked in the Laser Shop it quietly cut my tags. See Picture.... CW EASY....

I Shipped the Texas Project today, the Smaller Accountability board to Philadelphia Yesterday, and the 4 big Command Boards to North Mankaro, MN the day before..... I have been BUSY....

PLUS I finally got the BIG LIST for my BIG ORDER.... A Little Disappointment in my Excitement I thought it was a 500 Fireman x 2 tag order but is really a 535 total $5K order.... And it is a EASY order too.... Just Fire Dept Name and 00 to 50 with a Station Number.... I can do the first station then for the 4 others do a Find and Replace for the Station Number, a few Key Strokes and DONE... EASY...

Most orders I have to type in each Fireman Name one at a time....

So Back to Work.... Printing Art Samples tonight for Albermarle, NC Fire Dept to Ship tomorrow.... With Monday a Holiday... Going to burn the Midnight Oil for the 4th night in a row...

Good Luck with your Retangles.... Use Carve Region and Outline....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-18-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Maybe I am too use to sign making and it only makes sense to me? If the rec/rounded is 6" wide by 18" in my mind I need to simplify the process. If I want 1" rounded corners then on the width side the straight line is 4" left and right, 8" top and bottom. Once all lines are equal and square the corners will be at an angle until I set all four to an 1" radius! I now have a rectangle with rounded corners!

If I only want 3/4" rounded corners the sides would 4.5" and top and bottom 8.5" then set the corners to 3/4"! Guess it just goes to show the designer is very versatile!

Ike

mtylerfl :

Thanks for the tips, I do have one question. You mentioned a "Change to Arc" tool... I see the Arc Tool, but nothing labeled "Change to Arc" Am I missing something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast