Below is an account on how to make this bookstand-- I've included MPC's of the stand for the CW which will make things go MUCH faster. You will still need a way to seperate the sides (a bandsaw or a hand rip saw will work) and a way to cut the knuckle seperators (a coping saw or scroll saw works well, but I've seen Chris Schwarz do it with a scroll saw blade held by hand and it worked for him.
------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I had some fun tonight-- After a quick sharpening session I made a bookstand. I tried one a couple of weeks ago but a dull bandsaw blade helped me ruin the piece posthaste... well, new bandsaw blades arrived the other day and the results this time were much better (the fact that I did the stand in pine this time instead of maple helped too I'm sure)
I did use two power tools (a bandsaw to seperate the pieces and a scroll saw to seperate the hinge knuckles) but other than that I am keeping this project tailed tool free-- even as far as cutting the board to begin with

I then squared things up with a shooting board and plane

The hinge is laid out and then you use a chisel to remove the waste from both sides.

of course I laid it out wrong the first time... after some head scratching and a return to Chris Schwarz's blog I corrected things (you draw parallel to the edges of the diagonal square on the side)

If you use the Carvewright to do this you will not have any layout issues--