Thread: CW Review in American Woodworker Magazine

Default CW Review in American Woodworker Magazine

American Woodworker Magazine did some side by side comparisons with the CarveWright, ShopBot and Shark in their Feb/Mar 2011 issue. We think we scored BIG against our closest competition.

Here are also some videos that they made while reviewing: enjoy!

invites you to see these two videos from American Woodworker and featuring the CarveWright System!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1582356721041
    Last edited by lynnfrwd; 02-15-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Man, where can I get that turbo speed setting?
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Just hit the "Turbo Button." LOL (What do you mean you don't have one.)

Nice videos. However, it did seem like the SB centerline came out cleaner than mine normally does. Is it just me or do other users see the same thing? And deep centerline almost aways results in burning on mine as well. (yes.. even with brandnew sharp bits)
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 02-15-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    Doug

I don't think you can compare the ShopBot to the CW. You have to compare apples to apple and oranges to oranges. It would have been a better choice to show a clip from the shark.... raster to raster or vector to vector.
    I wasnt really trying to make a comparision.... it was more just an observation. But when the cw does centerline... dont we typically call that "vector"? It sure seems to function in a vector mode. I was just saying that my centerline doesnt come out as clean as what was show in the shopbot video. Nothing more.. nothing less. It would have been nice to see them take the same centerline text and run them side by side on both machines. At least that way I could have seen if their test also burned the wood with the cw.
    Doug Fletcher

Yes, this is not really where I intended for this thread to go. Partially, my fault for accidentally posting the Shopbot video thinking it was another one on the CW. That's what I get for not watching them, first. So, we know there are instances where centerline will burn the wood. I did 6 Christmas projects using centerline and carved in poplar, but did not have any burning. Is it a certain type of wood that burns or is it how deep the carve is? Does it occur with the QC, CarveTight or both? I know they are working on a fix for that, but don't have any details as to when it would be available.

Otherwise, I think the article was great and showed us as strong competition and alternative to the SB and Shark.

Once, I saw the post about "Turbo Speed", I had to go watch it. Too funny!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Yes, this is not really where I intended for this thread to go. Partially, my fault for accidentally posting the Shopbot video thinking it was another one on the CW. That's what I get for not watching them, first. So, we know there are instances where centerline will burn the wood. I did 6 Christmas projects using centerline and carved in poplar, but did not have any burning. Is it a certain type of wood that burns or is it how deep the carve is? Does it occur with the QC, CarveTight or both? I know they are working on a fix for that, but don't have any details as to when it would be available.

Otherwise, I think the article was great and showed us as strong competition and alternative to the SB and Shark.

Once, I saw the post about "Turbo Speed", I had to go watch it. Too funny!
    Well Lynn, any consolation I have 3 CW (sold 2) and sold my never used $10,000 Shopbot and my K2 is collecting dust from what the CW makes! So what this little machine can do compared to the SB and the Shark is amazing! Sorry for posting my question about the K2. Yes the SB is a great CNC, but you need different forms of software to achieve the same thing with the CW designer! The SB can not make centerline carvings with all fonts. Yes with the CW you need more software to make DFX and STL and centerline, but the cost is far less then anything you need for the SB or the Shark!

I am quite happy with this great machine! So when is the commercial version coming out?

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 02-16-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Yes, this is not really where I intended for this thread to go.
    He He..... Well that explains everything. You are the BEST person I have seen moderating this forum and it sure help moral here. You go Sista.

I deleted my references above as well because they are not relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by PCW View Post
    He He..... Well that explains everything. You are the BEST person I have seen moderating this forum and it sure help moral here. You go Sista.

I deleted my references above as well because they are not relevant.
    Well I deleted mine too, looks real stupid standing alone!