Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Fletcher's DC - carve it yourself

Yes, thank you very much for posting this. I'm amazed that any CW continues to work without such an attachment. I finally got mine to cut out somewhat correctly. I'd appreciate any input here on what might have gone wrong with the second attempt:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...happened/page3

I was a little bummed about cutting a hole in the lid at first... but I got over it when I realized that even with the extension I turned on the lathe, the lid just flips right over the extension after the hose is removed. You do have to position the DC correctly though...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCHoleCut1_M.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	61373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCHoleCut2_M.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	61374Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCHoleCut3_M.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	61375

If you look closely, you can see where I angled all these extensions so they would hit the lid in the right spot. I was glad I didn't have to cut the lid right through the edge creating more weakness.

Now to paint this thing and bolt it down.

nice job - good to see that it worked out well for ya- if you're concerned about the lid in case of resale etc. you can order an uncut one to have in reserve.

You should notice a significant reduction in dust- just be careful of static electricity frying your machine!

Congrats,

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence! I'm wondering how one would prevent static electricity from frying one's machine? Ground wires everywhere?

lotsa folks ground their hoses- if you search for "static" in the search function you'll find some good responses- (or folks will chime in after me now)

I've been playing russian roulette a bit for a couple of years now--- no ground on my dust collection hose... I've gotten a couple
    of scares, but my machine is still humming along-- YMMV

Lawrence

Can anyone tell me which bits I will need to complete this DC unit. I just broke my 1/8" cutting bit and didn't want to go and get started to find out I need that bit. If I do need the 1/8" cutting bit do you know if I can sub in the 3/16" cutting?

I looked over the MPC - see no reason why you could not change the 1/8 bit to the 3/16 bit. I would make the change on the mpc and then upload it rather than on the fly at the machine.

Just got done carving this out (2 hrs 28 min) out of some Lowes pine that I found no knots in ("Select Premium" my butt; I'd hate to see the non select). It is a work of art. My brother came over and said this is some "Terminator Sh#*" machines making parts for themselves. I did change the cut out bit for the ring from 1/8" to 3/8" and it lines up perfectly. Thanks for posting. And my dad says "nothing in this world is free".

just wait until you sand/paint it to match and put it on... it' s SMOOTH

Lawrence

Do you guys just glue the ring onto the hood with wood glue or did you glue/nail. I was also (before I carved this beauty) just going to slap it on bare, Now seeing how it turned out I was going to paint or stain it. I thought if I painted it with some gloss enamel it would aid in the "slickness" of the air flow. Then I though it was to nice to cover with paint I would stain it to look like a piece of furniture and it would be one hell of a conversation piece when my buddies (who are too cheap to buy their own CW) come over to play. Any advantage to smoothing out the air flow or is it strong enough as is?

Just glue worked fine for mine- 2+ years later and it is still truckin'

I primed/painted mine for the same reasons- it looks better too... I put pics back in my original post from 2 years ago (page 1 of this thread)

Lawrence

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast