Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Fletcher's DC - carve it yourself

This is now how I am attaching hose (it swivels). Using 2 1/4 inch shop vac hose (standard) with the adaptor
    that hooks two hoses together. I added a piece of aluminum to bottom side. On a 45 min. test project,
    the dust was minimal (middle picture) and something I can live with. The aluminum angles at about a 45
    degree and is about an 1/8 above board while being cut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOD 1.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	770.5 KB 
ID:	67460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOD 2.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	548.5 KB 
ID:	67461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOD 4.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	461.2 KB 
ID:	67462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOD 5.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	67463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOOD 3.JPG 
Size:	658.6 KB 
ID:	67464

Hi everyone,

I received my CarveWright yesterday mid-morning and completed my first carve that afternoon. I did 'Fletcher's DC' which turned out quite nice. I'm using 2-1/4" hose on my vac system and would like to know how I might proceed with cutting a hole in the shield. I've made a reducing collar and attached a quick disconnect (sorta) coupling which will be vertical - no pics yet but will later. I'm thinking of using my flex shaft rotary tool but have never cut plastic - any suggestions on the type of cutter or technique to use?

Looking forward to joining in and learning from the vast experience shared so freely on the forum.

p.s.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of double-sided tape? I have some (brand unknown) but it is quite aggressive and hard to get pieces seperated and off of the project.
    Last edited by Iron Mike; 05-08-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added tape comment

3. Default

I used a dremmel tool with a cutting disc and although it melted a little it cut it well and the melted plastic came off with my fingers and left a clean cut.

Take the cover off, lay a steel rule along the edge you want to cut off. Take a sharp point (they make a plastic knife for a few bucks at lowes) object and scribe a line being careful the first time to stay on the rule edge. Once you have a scribe mark scribe it again and again using more pressure. Once you have it cut fairly deep, snap it. Like glass the plastic will break along the line.

Only applies with a straight line!
    Last edited by eelamb; 05-08-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Hi everyone,

I received my CarveWright yesterday mid-morning and completed my first carve that afternoon. I did 'Fletcher's DC' which turned out quite nice. I'm using 2-1/4" hose on my vac system and would like to know how I might proceed with cutting a hole in the shield. I've made a reducing collar and attached a quick disconnect (sorta) coupling which will be vertical - no pics yet but will later. I'm thinking of using my flex shaft rotary tool but have never cut plastic - any suggestions on the type of cutter or technique to use?

Looking forward to joining in and learning from the vast experience shared so freely on the forum.

p.s.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good brand of double-sided tape? I have some (brand unknown) but it is quite aggressive and hard to get pieces seperated and off of the project.
    I cut mine with a band saw and a good fence. Perfectly straight and no melting.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    I use Woodcraft's "turner's tape". It holds well and thin enough to use in sleds.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-x-36-Yds.aspx
    Steve

Thanks for the inputs guys, I'll give it go in a couple of hours.

Looks like I got it done without any major mishap. The hose connections are from a old shop-vac and the male/female connectors friction-fit together so it's very easy to connect/disconnect and the lid will open enough to change bits. Did a short plywood carve and I'm quite happy with it. Now to learn how to use the machine. Thanks for the cutting and tape suggestions.

FYI - the rollers I use with my table saw as run-off extensions; either single (centered behind the blade) or side-by-side (for wider work). By adjusting the chain links at the machine and roller length extension I can quickly adjust distance and height position. The turnbuckles give me fine tuning for height. Everything moves with the machines so no worry about an uneven floor and such.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040507.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	69417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040508.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	69418Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040509.JPG 
Views:	127 
ID:	69419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040510.JPG 
ID:	69420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040511.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	69421

Nice. That cart setup is sharp too.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Good job on those DC carves! Nice setup.
    Designer 1.187 Build 10870
    Designer 3.106 Build 38
    Pattern Editor
    Centerline
    Conforming Vectors
    2D Vector Drawing Suite
    STL Importer
    3D Pattern Modeling Suite
    Rotary Jig

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910