Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Rough Surface when scanning smooth item

I finished the scan with a grip positioned differently, a knife blade and a quarter all glued securely in place. Still seems pretty rough to me.

In the previous post I mentioned the probe tip does not return to the same spot when toggled around and released. When the scanner probe is going on a downhill slope of an object (knife Blade) the sound changes to sound a bit like the rattle of a loose piece of metal. Only when scanning in the downhill direction, not uphill.

This scan was done on best setting with the flex shaft detached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Burl Source; 02-16-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Mark Farley

OK,
    Now, do you know anyone close by that has a machine?
    If so, you could take your sled and probe to their place and run the test again. The coin should have been very clean (even if it is a light image). No dimples!
    This could show if you have a Probe, or machine issue.
    Let us know.
    AskBud
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Mark,

Based on your ptn and your statement about the probe tip not returning to the center spot I would say there might be something wrong with the guts of the probe. It could be a spring out of position or broken.

If you/probe are still under warranty I would give them a call and also email them the mpw to look at.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Mark

As I recall, there are only three screws that hold the probe together. Remove those and take a look at the guts of the probe, if there's anything amiss, you'll see it right away.

You'll be surprised just how simple the thing is.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Quote Originally Posted by AskBud View Post
    OK,
    Now, do you know anyone close by that has a machine?
    If so, you could take your sled and probe to their place and run the test again. The coin should have been very clean (even if it is a light image). No dimples!
    This could show if you have a Probe, or machine issue.
    Let us know.
    AskBud
    I don't know of anyone nearby with a machine.
    I think 1st thing I will do is take apart the probe and see what's up there. Or......maybe I'll call headquarters 1st so I don't void the warranty or anything.
    I will let you guys know what happens.
    Thanks for all the help and good advice.
    Mark
    Mark Farley

I talked to the guys at HQ and it sounds like there is issues with the probe I have. 2 of the 3 screws are too tight to be able to loosen so I will be sending the probe to have it looked at. They were very friendly and helpful. Figured I would try one more scan. The positioning on the sled helps some. I will see what I can do in the way of cleanup on this scan.

This shows the new scan but I noticed another problem.
    On the flash card it shows the scan as 4.94 x 4.07, when I download the scan into pattern editor it changes in size to 3.406 x 2.906
    If I attempt to change the 1st number to 4.94 the second changes to 4.215 when the proportions lock is left on.
    Last edited by Burl Source; 02-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Mark Farley

Hi Mark,

The scan quality you are getting is certainly not normal, as long as the items are secure (no movement) during the scan. From what you shared before, it sounds like you indeed DO have them secure.

As far as the size change, verify with us that you are using the most current version of the Designer software...one of the "fixes" awhile ago was the resizing issue of scans. The size should remain the same when you bring the scan into the Pattern Editor, as long as you are using the most current version of the software. Please let us know.

I'm sorry you'll be without your scanning probe during the round-trip to HQ. Based on what you've already told us, I tend to agree that something was amiss with the probe itself, and I'm sure the folks at CarveWright will be able to get you fixed up shortly.

While you are waiting for the probe to be returned, you may find the following Tips & Tricks interesting reading (maybe you've already read it?). It's an article with some odds and ends tips regarding the use of the probe, etc.

ISSUE 9 June 2008 – Scanning Probe Techniques

All the Best...
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 02-17-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by cnsranch View Post
    You'll be surprised just how simple the thing is.
    Yep, you can probably fix it yourself as it sounds like what fwharris said, a spring out of position or broken. The probe itself is just a mechanical switch and since your machine is "generally" scanning the parts, it is still receiving signals from the probe and converting those signals to points in space - therefore probably not a software or electronic issue. If you look at the attached image of my scan(on Normal mode) beside yours, you can see that there must be a mechanical issue and the slop you mention in the tip makes sense to give you this output. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan-compare.jpg  
    ROCKin' with my Dust Collector - Get the mpc here
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ve-it-yourself

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post

As far as the size change, verify with us that you are using the most current version of the Designer software...one of the "fixes" awhile ago was the resizing issue of scans. The size should remain the same when you bring the scan into the Pattern Editor, as long as you are using the most current version of the software. Please let us know.
    OK, first of all, time for a big DUHHHHHHH.
    I had read in other threads about the update for the resizing but hadn't bothered to see if I was running the current software. I had 1.175. I have updated to the current one now. Now I will try one more time to take it apart before sending the probe in to be looked at. Fletcher, thanks for the comparison. Big difference even without considering yours was done at normal and mine at best. We'll get this all figured out and then I can get started with some of my wild ideas for projects. Thanks for the time and effort you guys.

Update
    Took the probe apart and didn't see anything obvious. Reassembled making sure everything is lined up. Now I am running a new scan to see if there is any difference.
    Last edited by Burl Source; 02-18-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    Mark Farley

This is the new scan of a pair of grips.
    A little cleaner than before but not quite right compared to what Fletcher posted.

What do you guys think? Good enough? or send it in to be looked at? I can make this quality of scan work for some projects but if I settle for this it will limit some of my other ideas. Maybe I am just being too optimistic. I will do what you guys advise me to do.
    Thanks, Mark
    Mark Farley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast