Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Neck Carving

Default Guitar Neck Carving

I probed one of my guitar necks and I'm getting ready to carve it, but The file is enormous and it will take a day to carve. How do you change from the over and across with the carving bit to something more economic it time and energy. I'm thinking to just run up and down the length of the neck with a larger bit, but I've tried the pattern editor and it is not user friendly for doing your own design. I saw some necks here by someone and it had tabs round it and looked like they used the larger bit to do it. How do you do it?

Get in touch with liquidguitars. He can help you with any questions you may have with carving guitars.
    Richard

If things improve with age, then I am
    approaching MAGNIFICENT!!

Using v.1.170

3. Default

And post the resulting answer for those of us you've gotten interested!
    I'd like to apply it to the swords I carve...
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.
    Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to do nothing...

Some people have a way with words, others not have way.
    CarveSpot Forum

your setup should look something like this, then just flip the neck and carve the headstock undercut, tunner holes and rout the t rod using the 1/4 ball.

Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.

It looks like you are going across the neck the short way to carve the neck. I thought you would just run up and down the length of the neck to get the shape on the back. Doesn't this take a Looong time to cut? I have a ton of problems getting my carvewright to cut something this long. how do you deal with slippage on something this long? Are you using the new traction belts?

I get 1:48:40 for the back of the neck carve and :22:00 for the top. if you do not have a CT or Rock forget about it.

here is the t rod video:

Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-20-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Please excuse My Ignorance, but what is a CT or a Rock?

I did check out your site, and your facebook. Looks like you are doing a LOT of Electric Violins and Mandos. Must be a bit of a market there. Great Work by the way. I love the design, looks almost aboriginal with the spiral .... hands might look good with that too.

I bought this silly machine a fews years back when business was good thinking to add to what I do with guitars, but so far it's just been frustrating to get it to accurately carve anything. When through the head adjustment stuff and finally got something to come out, but I still can't rely on it for anything too accurate.

I have gotten the design on the board in Designer. BUT what I would like to know is this. How did you get your dirst design into the designer program? I had to actually build my neck first. then make a sled and scan it to get it into the pattern editor. Mess with it there THEN import it to Designer. It seems like a round about way to use a cnc machine, but whatever works, hey?
    Last edited by BlueRocco; 02-20-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added information question

BlueRocco, the CT and Rock are the new type of tool holders or chucks. Actually the Rock was developed by Ron Justice to replace the Quick Change chuck that came on the CW and CCW. It is a much better chuck, a lot less vibrations and makes the machine a lot quieter too. And it doesn't hang up like the old QC's did. The Rock also uses it's own collets (tool holder). The CT is the lastest chuck that CarveWright came out with. It is an entire spindle with a chuck like the rock but is all one piece. I run a rock chuck, I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything, well that is unless I upgraded to a version C machine. Hope this answere your question about the rock and CT, and this is my 2¢ worth IMHO.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

So which is quieter, the Rock or the CT? Does anyone own one of each that can answer this question?? I may have to get one or the other of them, as well as the heavy duty traction belts. The upgrades never seem to end do they??

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocco View Post
    So which is quieter, the Rock or the CT? Does anyone own one of each that can answer this question?? I may have to get one or the other of them, as well as the heavy duty traction belts. The upgrades never seem to end do they??
    Blue I do! I have a CW with a Rock and a CW with the CT. I have to admit the Rock is quieter then the CT! Your choice is this with the Rock you only replace the chuck head. With the CT you need to remove the back plate and remove and replace the whole Z truck. Both ways need to be done correctly and the instructions followed to the letter! Otherwise you will have more trouble then you want!

Don't get me wrong I think both chucks are great! So I would read up on the installation of both chucks and go from there!

Ike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast