Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your wood?

Default Where do you get your wood?

I'm curious - where do people get their wood, how much do they pay, and what's your most popular species?

The lumberyard that my family has dealt with for 30 years closed their doors recently, and I'm really scrambling to find another good source. The few retail places that will sell it want like $8.00 bd/ft for walnut, cherry, etc., and about $3.00 a bd/ft for hickory.

So far hickory has been my best carving wood - insane hard and almost zero 'fuzzies' in detailed objects.
    CWPatterns.com - Search, browse, download, all FREE!
    Spawned on 1/18/2011 - Over 700 patterns and climbing.
    This website can be used as a flotation device.
    "

Default Amish wood source in Ohio

Here is my Amish wood source in Bellefontaine Ohio.
    AskBud
    http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/Hoc...er%20flyer.pdf
    AskBud Downloads =>> CLICK HERE
    Lesson added
    7/15/2012 Titles begin with "2D-3D Build a Pattern-Part-3"

CW Vacuum Head Project =>> CLICK HERE
    AskBud Home Page =>> CLICK HERE <<=PC lessons or CW lessons

More than 1250 AskBud patterns
    vvv-CLICK BELOW-vvv
    http://store.carvewright.com/manufac...ufacturerid=29

Hmmm the kid down the road brings it to me and stacks it for 35 per rick.

Most of the time I get mine at auctions. Last batch was a stack of 4/4 walnut (rough) 10 wide, 16" tall 10' length for $50.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

I used to deal with a similar supplier just south of Wellington, Ohio for furniture grade woods when I lived up there some 10 years ago. They even slabbed out some cherry logs for me and I have a fair amount of that wood left in my workshop down here. Used a few of those boards for my Grandson's cradle below. Too many years ago to recommend them as a current supplier but there were several up there about two hours North of you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_0716.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	278.1 KB 
ID:	41850 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA14471203124.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	41849

I'll have to try some Hickory when I can find some.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Mill just around 8 miles from where I live. Mostly oak, maple, hickory, walnut. Pay .80 cents bf for oak and maple. Got him after he cut up 1000 bf of walnut and had not stacked it yet so he gave me $1 bf. Mill just North of Warsaw, Missouri.

As I'm a cabinetmaker, I have several suppliers that deliver from 160 miles away to my shop. I only have to order $250 worth to get free delivery. I get wholesale pricing, free delivery-I don't get to pick my boards. most of my carving wood is just scrap from the business. What will I do when i retire? I dunno.....I'm 68 and can't afford to retire.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk View Post
    As I'm a cabinetmaker, I have several suppliers that deliver from 160 miles away to my shop. I only have to order $250 worth to get free delivery. I get wholesale pricing, free delivery-I don't get to pick my boards. most of my carving wood is just scrap from the business. What will I do when i retire? I dunno.....I'm 68 and can't afford to retire.
    Sounds like JE Higgins, they used to have a store in Reno NV., but like many stores they closed that store and the closest location is Sacramento Ca. I need to go to the coast and restock on my old growth redwood. Like you not being affording to retire I can't afford any redwood at this time!

Ike
    Last edited by Ike; 02-23-2011 at 10:52 PM.

I’m lucky, I have lots of rough cut available around me, oak, maple, cedar, birch, black walnut, hickory and others. A year ago I bought a building full of rough cut oak, maple and cherry, about 10,000 board feet. Some of the nicest maple I’ve ever seen. Hopefully I should be set for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by chkorte View Post
    I’m lucky, I have lots of rough cut available around me, oak, maple, cedar, birch, black walnut, hickory and others. A year ago I bought a building full of rough cut oak, maple and cherry, about 10,000 board feet. Some of the nicest maple I’ve ever seen. Hopefully I should be set for a while.
    Wow I am jealous!

Ike

Capt. Bruce,

Excellent Woodworking Skills...

I have posted the pictures below before... I want to build a Solar Kiln and use 2 Solar Attic Fans that my Brother gave me to circulate the air when the sun is shining. I have a bunch of Sliding Glass Doors.......

I am still buying wood from a sawmill near me but I would love to have the time to make some serious Sawdust with my Bandmill. There is a new Gas Pipeline going in on our property next year, next to one from 1955 to handle the Gas Drilling in my area. They will be cutting a bunch of hardwood and softwood into logs for me. Should be interesting....

This was 2 wind blown logs trees that hung up for a year... Once they finally dropped I made short work of them with my converted boat trailer and mill.

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 02-25-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast