Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Where do you get your wood?

Nice work guys!

Most of the stuff I use is pine that we get through pretty much any big box store.

There is a pallet of mixed wood that one of the engineers brought it and its all rough sawn. If there is a special project that I want to do, I have been know to resaw some of it to what I need.

I have gotten several good pieces of mahogany from the pallet. Now, to find time to actually complete a special project.
    Sonuva Nutcracker!

Alex
    Carvewright

I know what you mean atauer, my better half sees new kitchen cabinets in my wood piles.
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

I purchased my lumber from local saw mills before I purchased my CW machine. We had a bad Ice storm in January 2009 and I purchased a small Band Saw Mill.

The Guy and his son that trimmed our trees have been bringing me logs to cut into lumber. They have been burning the logs to get rid of them and asked me if I could use them, I said yes. They bring them over at no charge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo4.jpg   photo5.jpg   photo2.jpg   photo1.jpg  

photo3.jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

I am so jealous of Lee, Al and BJ! I wish I had my own saw mill! I would love to be able to cut my own redwood! A friend told me about his sister who own some property near Eureka Ca. and had 4 old growth redwood trees. She sold the 4 for $2000.00 for her drug money! $2000.00 for 4 full size old growth redwood, I felt sick after hearing the story!

Ike

I primaryly work in red cedar (got hooked on the smell). I get it back home in TN from Grants Cedar Mill just outside of lebanon TN, The prices are great there thats why i drive the 8hrs from beaufort SC to get it a couple times a year. All my other Hardwoods I get from another Mill in Weaverly TN that is owned by a family friend and he'll cutt anything i need, with a good enough price it makes it well worth the trip to get. The only other place i get my lumber is at Georgia Hardwoods just east of Atlanta GA, They have pretty good prices and they give a military discount and have always treated me real fair. Either way its a drive for me cause everyone down here close to me in South Carolina think that there lumber is made of gold i guess. I mean really who wants to pay 6.50 a bft for Oak. haha So if anyone has any connections aroung here in SC or Northeast GA please let me know..... As for the portable saw mill i would love one but the wifes says I have to many toys as it is.
    David Greer
    "Woodworking is the Illusion of Perfection"
    Shadowboxs, Kbar Holders, Sword Holders Etc.
    Find Me on Facebook
    Email Me if you need something

Here's how I get my wood. The mill is a Woodmizer LT40 Superhydraulic diesel. Also have a small Woodmizer single blade edger, and Nyle dehumidier kiln. The deuce and a half will soon have a 5,000 lb Autocrane for picking up the logs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3451_1.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	42567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	42566

you can do a google search for "forestry forum" they have a link where you can find someone in your area that has a small mill that you can get wood from.
    my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

my patterns are at www.upillar.com do a search for "ptn"

email for patterns: patternmaster@live.com

Default Hull-Oakes Lumber may be the last steam-powered commercial saw mill

Good morning Gang,

I've followed this thread with great interest and thought you might all enjoy this link to an illustrated tour of the Hull-Oakes steam powered saw mill. It taught me quite a bit about what is involved long before I buy that board. Enjoy the virtual visit! (insert smiley face here in your mind)

http://www.garymkatz.com/OnTheRoad/HullOaks.htm
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234