Thread: Hello Everyone

Gdenni Guest

Cool Hello Everyone

Just ordered a Compucarve unit , Hoping for delivery on Wednesday. Looking forward to learnng how to use it and create lots of great projects. Any insite you can give i would realy appreiciate

Welcome the CW Forum. We are just full of insight and willing to share!!! Check out the "What Every Newbie Should Know" thread, also! I'm sure you will enjoy this wonderful group of people on the forum.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gdenni View Post
    Just ordered a Compucarve unit , Hoping for delivery on Wednesday. Looking forward to learnng how to use it and create lots of great projects. Any insite you can give i would realy appreiciate
    Welcome to the Forum Gdenni. Get ready for the ride of your life with this machine and meeting some of the greatest people you'll ever meet. You'll need to carry lots of patience with you and you'll do just fine. Just be nice to your machine and hopefully she'll be nice to you. : ) The knowledge that many people on the forum have will just blow you away at times. Then wait til you see what people can make.... that'll knock your socks off! ha ha Again, welcome and hang tuff.........
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

To echo JerryB, Welcome to the Forum Gdenni.

Simply read the Forum and all the documentation that comes with your new CarveWright as you set up and begin using your machine and you can't go wrong. Get some good ear protection as it's a loud little puppy when operating. Buy or make a good dust collector inlet and use it as it will save you time and money and make the unit so much easier to use and maintain. This is a precision machine and like any fine woodworking tool it wants to be maintained well.

You will find the carving is addictive in a very good way. I find that when I'm working with it to make a project the cares of the world just go away and I am absorbed in the process. It will open up your creativity and enjoyment of woodcrafting in ways you cannot imagine now. Again a sincere Welcome to the Forum and enjoy the experience that is CarveWright.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Welcome!

If you're anything like the rest of us you're going to have questions-- please ask away!

I recommend a couple of things before you get started--

spend a good bit (I spent a week of evenings or so, but I'm slow so you may be quicker than I) reading here on the site before you do your first carve. There are plenty of resources, but the tips and tricks and ask bud's tuts are especially useful.

Perform the required maintenance (esp the lube on the shaft) before you accomplish your first carve-- if you are like the rest of us here you will probably not do this... but do it very soon after you begin carving... it will save you heartache

When you do finally do your first carve make it a simple one that has already been proven a good pattern by another user-- a nice clean, single sided raster carve without any bit changes. Ensure your stock is flat and straight. After you understand and can visualize the function of the machine you will branch out and start teaching US a thing or two!

Welcome and good luck!

Lawrence