Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router bits...

Default Router bits...

Hello everyone. I'm looking to resource the cutting bits where I can order online or call a toll free number (doesn't happen at Carvewright yet). I'm especially looking to find the 1/16" carving bit (BCR062) and the cutting bit (BCT125), but a resource for any/all of the bits would be nice until Carvewright has a chance to get their after-market product support running properly. (BTW, I have tried to order by email; they don't respond). Thanks.

linehook Guest

Ed,

I called Sears today to talk with them about the machine in the course of our conversation the salesman told me that the bits that they sell will work in the machine. You might want to go to Sears and see their bit selection to see if they have the bit that you need.

Hi - thanks for the reply but I did go to 3 large Sears stores and they had scarce supplies of plunge bits, and nothing 1/16" was even a possibility - a combination of the large home retailers and the local hardware stores worked. A place called "precisebits.com" is going to make a bit very similar to the 1/16" tapered bit soon and all the other bits are sort of common or very common. The 1/16" tapered bit is a good design structurally and it's relatively wobble-free given it's small diameter. Amana makes a regular 1/16" bit, but for reasons just mentioned I shy away from it.

Default bits

How do you tell if a router bit is a "plunge" bit?

How do you tell if a bit is compatible with the the CW specifications?

I called CW and ordered my bits yesterday they are out of stock but expect them in Thursday or Friday.

I don't believe ( Sears ) stocks the bits at this time but I understand they will shortly.
    Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

Default as i understand it

plungeable bits are the ones that do not have bearings on the top which allows them to dive rightinto the board, the ones with bearings can not.

the bearing is the round part on the very top so if you are looking for them becareful cause i have not found a single one in my area that will work properly.

Default Re: as i understand it

Quote Originally Posted by menewfy
    plungeable bits are the ones that do not have bearings on the top which allows them to dive rightinto the board, the ones with bearings can not.

the bearing is the round part on the very top so if you are looking for them becareful cause i have not found a single one in my area that will work properly.
    There's more to it than that! To start with, the Carvewright bits have flats on the shank for the set screws in the quick change holder to register into.
    Plunge bits have cutting tips on the end of the bit, not just on the sides of the shank. Believe me, the Carvewright bits are priced quite nicely and are specifically made for the machine.
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

i forgot about the adapter good point sir.

I have the full set of bits from CarveWright, PKunk, and the only bits with the flats ground in them are the two bits that come with the machine (carving 1/16" and cutting 1/8"). All other bits both 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits have no flats.

Bob

I'll have to take your word for that Bob. I haven't removed any of the others from their adapters. So, what keeps say, the V-bits from spinning in the adapter? Just the tightness of the setscrews?
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast