Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lithophane Material

Does anyone have a picture or diagram for a Lithophane box. I want to try making one using a picture. How do I make the box and what type of light is used?
    Thanks,
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    I would be remiss not to point out that MY favorite source for material to make lithophanes would be HERE:

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=259

wink!!
    I carved some 12x18 corian I bought from LHR yesterday and it turned out just fine-- flat and accurately cut.

My only complaint would be that both pieces have the black factory writing on the back--and it was pretty dirty with some surface staining. It sands out just fine, but for $111 for 2 pieces of corian I expected already prepped material-- not a real biggie though

Does anyone know of a good substance for cleaning the ink off of corian without damaging it? (other than sanding) (and its not acetone, DAMHIKT)

Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by nuchie View Post
    Does anyone have a picture or diagram for a Lithophane box. I want to try making one using a picture. How do I make the box and what type of light is used?
    Thanks,
    Leo
    I'm working on a BIG (12x1 one right now and am using white Christmas LEDs-- they are working REALLY well for VERY little money (under $20). I'll be posting pics very soon.

Lawrence

Lawrence
    Try using a little bit of Acetone to wipe off the writing. This has worked for me in the past when I made desk sets.
    Bob

Hi Lawrence,

If you want to avoid Acetone, try the Mr. Clean "Magic Erasers". They are a sponge-like white pad and with a little water and some rubbing, should remove the factory markings.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Leo, take a look at my litho box and how I set it up. These work out really well and with it being LED's they don't get hot and are low voltage which makes it safe around kids and pets. http://s881.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Lithopanes/

All my lights, plugs, and power supply I pick up on ebay. I buy the lights on a reel of 300 lights for around $25. These lights can be cut to length (groups of 3) and wires soldered to the solder points provided on the circuit board.

CarverJerry
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

My favorite material for lithophanes has been 1/4" Corian in bone. It gives the finished image a sepia-like appearance which can be further enhanced depending on the light source. I went to a local shop that builds and installs custom countertops in Corian (and other materials) and they told me Corian had discontinued bone as one of their color options. Has anyone else heard this? I don't want to start a multi-pane project only to find I have to switch materials, or colors, half way through.

they told me Corian had discontinued bone as one of their color options
    I Googled and found this,

Dupont Corian Colors to be Discontinued
    In 2010 Dupont Corian will discontinue 35 colors. These colors will be added to the Dupont color library which means you will still be able to order them in large quantitites but they will not be a part of the standard palette of Dupont Corian colors.

Dupont believes that this change will help strengthen their brand and highlight the uniqueness of the materials they offer, setting them apart from "me too" colors and brands. Dupont plans to introduce 10 New colors in 2010:

The Discontinued Corian Colors are:

Aloe Vera, Aruba, Atlantis, Beachglass, Beige Fieldstone, Black Quartz, Blackberry Ice, Bone, Burnt Amber, Camel, Caribbean, Delta Sand, Desert Springs, Dusk, Eclipse, Egyptian Copper, Everest, Festival, Gobi, Gravel, Macadam, Mediterranean, Midnight, Mont Blanc, Oyster, Pearl Gray, Pepper Ivory, Prairie, Raw Silk, Rye, Stone Washed, Terra, Tumbled Glass, Whitecap, and Winter Wheat.
    Last edited by DaveN; 05-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Default Cutting Boards........ (Litho?)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	45704Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	45705

I was a Walmart today and found these 2 cutting boards that sell for 5.97 and 6.97. Do these look like they might carve to make a Litho? Just wondering.........

Well OK... these are not the boards, but the labels of what they're made of.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast