Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lithophane Material

1. Default

I found a source for cast acrylic sheets and they come in translucent colors and I wonder if anybody thinks this stuff is a good price?

Here is the link: https://www.inventables.com/categori...erials/acrylic

I have made cut outs of letters with this stuff and painted the edges black with that rust-oleum plastic paint (I used the backing on the sheet as a mask after cutting out the edges with an exacto knife). The letters came out really nice but the guy from the company asked if I would be needing thicker sheets. I don't know if this stuff would be good for lithos or not. What do you guys think?

Alan

I tried a couple lithopanes with the cast acrylic from the Carvewright store, and my results were pretty bad. The carve bit kept on getting glops of soft acrylic stuck to it, which made for regions of "muddy" carving. And the final result was not clear enough to see the image through. I haven't tried Corian yet, but I did get some acrylic from another source and will try that as well.

@ mwolf, I have carved several lithos using cast acrylic and never had the material glob up on me. I would either say you do not have "Cast" acrylic or maybe your tool is really dull. My last litho had lines in it because the carving tool was getting dull but it did'nt glob up at all and I was using cast acrylic. You may want to contact who you purchased it from to make sure they sold you cast and not just plain extruded acrylic material.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

I got the material from Carvewright! With the holidays and colder weather, I haven't had time to get the machine out in a couple of months. I'll let you know if I get better results from other material, or a newer bit, when the weather warms up a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123