Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Wink New User

Hello All, I have finally made the purchase and have a new Version "C". I have been reading and asking questions on this forum for some time now, so I decided to buy a 2hp DC system from Harbor Freight, and the "Ring Neck Blues" Dust hood. I now need to figure out how to ground my Ring Neck, Carvewright and DC together, and I will be ready to start carving.

One thing I must say, is there is no short supply of advice/help on this forum. I often get lost in the forum, tip/tricks pages, learn something new....then come back again tomorrow to try to find what I was looking for in the first place.

Really want to make sure I don't
    1. Fry my Carvewright with static discharge
    2. Clog any sensors up due to dust collection

Would appreciate any advice.

Woody

Welcome, Woody. Glad to have you as part of the CW family. Sounds like you made good choices with your DC and the dust hood. You will be happy with them. There is a lot of great folks here who are always willing to help and share ideas. As far as grounding your DC, there have been a number of posts on that subject, but I believe a good method is to connect a ground wire to your dust hood and wrap it around the exterior of the collection hose all the way to the DC and connect it there. I have a central unit remote controlled in my shop with hard PVC piping and blast gates. I have run the ground wire from all the blast gates back to my DC and haven't had an issue. I have used this type of system for about 20 years. I do think a wire from the blast gate to the actual machine is a great addition and even better protection.
    Anyway, happy carving and welcome....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Just a welcome to the form
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

Quote Originally Posted by smurfjeep View Post
    Hello All, I have finally made the purchase and have a new Version "C". I have been reading and asking questions on this forum for some time now, so I decided to buy a 2hp DC system from Harbor Freight, and the "Ring Neck Blues" Dust hood. I now need to figure out how to ground my Ring Neck, Carvewright and DC together, and I will be ready to start carving.

One thing I must say, is there is no short supply of advice/help on this forum. I often get lost in the forum, tip/tricks pages, learn something new....then come back again tomorrow to try to find what I was looking for in the first place.

Really want to make sure I don't
    1. Fry my Carvewright with static discharge
    2. Clog any sensors up due to dust collection

Would appreciate any advice.

Woody
    Woody,

Welcome!
    For the grounding, just as John stated you can run your grounding wire from the frame of your DC coiled around your hose up to the CW. I use alligator clips at the CW for attaching to the machine and insert.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

FWIW, my grounding wire is running from the DC up, inside the hose, and attached to the frame of the CW (on one of the two pre-drilled holes just under the front of the cover). Continuity tester shows that all parts of the machine are grounded from there.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

Considering I haven't purchased my ground wires yet, from what I read here, I am assuming that the wire is bare (not insulated) in order to pick up any static. Either outside or inside the hose.

Right - and putting it inside the hose takes care of any concern for static build up.
    Livin' Life
    Lovin' My Carvewright

I have used speaker wire which can be purchasd without insulation and isn't too expensive...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

I have been using 4 inch flexible aluminum dryer duct on mine, used the ends of the metal wire in the duct to ground on each end and it seems to work fine.
    I got it at Lowe's and they carry it in 8 ft and 20 ft lengths.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemi View Post
    I have been using 4 inch flexible aluminum dryer duct on mine, used the ends of the metal wire in the duct to ground on each end and it seems to work fine.
    I got it at Lowe's and they carry it in 8 ft and 20 ft lengths.

Mike
    I went to the woodcraft store with the intent to buy the flexible hose they sell there and the salesman in the store talked me out of it, he said use the flexible dryer hose, its way cheaper and works better and he had been using it for decades. I told him that I appreciated his honesty and would probably be more likely to buy other stuff from the store just because of that. He may have lost one sale that day, but will more than make it up down the road.

Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast