Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by flhxlee View Post
    Hello all,
    new but not... i've had the carvewright for a year or so when i was building cabinets. i have a remodeling company here on padre island tx, but got so busy (booked for 2.5 years as of now) i had to start subbing out the cabinets again. So now the carvewright will just be for me. but anyways my computer crashed and i lost the program and cant for the life of me figure out how to get it going again... any help would be great. thanks LEE
    Lee,

You can down load designer from here http://www.carvewright.com/support-p...tarted/update/

Since your computer crashed you might have to re register everything you had before.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnfrwd View Post
    Capt. Bruce...I love the view from your back deck!!
    Thanks Connie,
    It does make a lovely backdrop for carving photos. One visitor remarked "With that view of the river and your pool I'd never want to leave home" and that's pretty much our motto. Thanks again,
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

3. Default Getting ready to buy a machine

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to buy my first machine. It's going to to used and coming from eBay. Anything I should know and stay away from.

Default Confused on what to buy

I am a garage tinkerer. I like to do woodworking, but (and this is fully supported by opinions expressed by my wife) my projects never turn out very well, whether using a router, dremel or other carving tools. I am looking to buy a CarveWright system to change that. The first couple of projects that I have to make are footstools. I have made footstools for all of my grandchildren with their names on them, and my feeble attempts at carving cute things (hearts, butterflies, etc...). Obviously I would do the tops without the legs, but would like to do the ones with the CarveWright system with the names and border standing out, not carved in like with a standard router. I also am going to make toy boxes and eventually want to make a rocking horse where the head of the horse actually looks like a horse (like on a carousel).
    My problem is, what to buy? Do I drop $5K on the full system, do I buy the hobbyist package, do I need the sign package for the lettering I want? I don't want to spend thousands more on options that I likely will never use (my wife will happily tell people about the tools in my garage that have been used only once or twice since their purchase ). At the same time, I don't want to order the system, set it up and it be like buying things for a project from Lowes (every project requires a minimum of three trips to Lowes to buy things I need that I didn't get the first couple of trips). I want to, from the box, do the above mentioned things without having to make multiple purchases over the next six months. What bits should I buy? If I buy the decorative bit set, do I need to buy the others? If I want to make nice, carved legs for the toy box will I need to buy the rotary jig, or is there a way to carve one face of the wood and then rotate the piece manually to do another face? If you want to carve something all the way through, can you just place another piece of wood under the piece you want carved or do you have to finish off knocking out the wood separately?
    I know, lots of questions from someone that has never touched a CNC machine, but since I saw the first video of the CarveWright system in action I fell in love with this.

Hello everybody. I'm Aaron, at 26 year veteran (Navy Corpsman), currently a PA, and novice wood worker. I saw the CarveWright video and fell in love a couple of months ago. Today I took the plunge and ordered the system before the Labor Day Sale ends. I don't know how much wood I am going to waste trying to come up to speed on learning to use the system, but hopefully I will get the basics down soon enough to make some Christmas presents for the grandkids. Had a lot of trouble deciding what to buy initially. Didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I would never use, but didn't want to buy too little so that it wouldn't do what I want it to do. I ended up getting the CX plus package, centerline text and the DC insert. I'm planning on doing a lot of reading on the forum to learn as much as I can for those that have walked down the trail before me. Aside from reading everything that comes with the unit (user manual, etc..) are there any suggestions on what order I should start reading things? I've never been in the same room with a CNC machine, never designed a project on a computer, and humble enough to know what I don't know. So, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Artyler,

Welcome to the CarveWright and the User's Forum! Besides the forum to help you out also spend some time in the support section on the main CarveWright web site http://www.carvewright.com/support-page/

These is a lot of great information to get you acquainted with the software and machine. The tutorials and tips n tricks cover most of what you need/want to know and if you have any questions (and you will! ) do not hesitate to post them here.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Welcome artyler,
    I would start with tutorials on the main carvewright page and tips and tricks. You should be able to download the software (demo) and start playing with it while you wait.
    Floyd posted the link.

Thank you for your service,
    Brent
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.

I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Victor View Post
    Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.

I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?

Best Regards
    Bob,

Welcome aboard. On the text along a line or path that is not in the basic 1.187 software version. You do have the capability to put in on an arc (with in the text dialog box) or set the angle for the text.

To find a carve in you area scroll down to the Carvohoics section to find carvers listed by the state they live in.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Victor View Post
    Hi everyone..As with artyler I recently purchased a CW. Have run several test projects. As with any new toy expectation high, results little less. Some of the issues are "human" and not machine. Would like to know if other CW users are located in the Tampa Bay, Fl area? Would like to get together to discuss ideas, get suggestions and help understanding what can and can not be accomplished.I will be posting questions from time to time as I encounter them. As I think of it, placing text on a path or curve. I use v 1.187, I cannot figure out how to do it. I knew design project 2 had the ability to do so. But it's no longer available and design project 3 is too pricey for me right now. Any thoughts?Best Regards
    Hi Bob,

For the Text in the basic (1.187) software, you can place and rotate individual letters for the time being to get a 'pseudo'-text-curve result. I imagine you'll get pretty tired of doing that after a few projects, so your best option will be to upgrade at some point.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast