Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Powell901 View Post
    Hello, my name is Mark. I purchased my CW 8 years ago, retired 3 years ago and am finally getting time to dig into my “retirement machine”. I’ve gotten on to the forum and have been poking around getting information here. I have carved a number of projects including signs, the Kuerig coffee rack and religious items.

I am curious where forum members are getting their raw materials from. Typically I have used clear pine or oak from Home Depot. At times I have been fortunate enough to get reclaimed lumber from friends. Today’s prices are extreme so I would like to know if I am missing a source or a particular species.
    Here is the last sign I carved for my sister’s retirement home business: Attachment 88669
    Glad to hear that you have the long list all done so that you can now spend some time carving!

Yes the lumber/wood availability and prices are a big issue right now. Look for lumber mills in your area. A lot of them advertise on Craigs list and the Market place. Nice sign for your sister..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Welcome, hope you enjoy the machine and what it can do. I have not purchased any wood at stores or lumber yards in years. I have a planner, so rough cut is my go to. I can and have had logs sawed, purchased stacks of saw wood. I look anywhere and everywhere. I also purchase used lumber that I can clean up. I have pulled some awesome cherry off pallets.v If a piece of wood does not grade well, off to the pallet shop it goes. They grade the whole piece, where I only grade the size I can use. i have wood from a few different countries. Put the word out your looking as well, I just save a box of Zebrawood from a fire pit. The wife wanted to burn, the husband knew I played with wood and asked if I could use it. Like Floyd stated C. L. and marketplace are good sources, but watch the prices as a few are dumping wood at much higher prices taking advantage of the wood prices of today. The prices will drop again, but it will take awhile.

3. Default New user, N.O.S. machine

My dad bought a B series CarveWright in 2009 and never used it. He's cleaning out his shop and sent it to me. I've got my first project ready to go in the Designer, but first I'm making a trivet to get all the problems worked out. I've hit a couple of problems so far. First, the machine tends to not recognize when a board is loaded. The head pressure is about 72 pounds, and that has not changed after cleaning and greasing the posts and head drive screws and then aligning the posts. I did manage to get a board recognized, and it got almost all the way through the routing steps before a Y-motor stall. That was pretty spectacular, and it took a surprising amount of time for the machine to catch it and produce an error message. I think the piece is salvageable with a coping saw and some sanding, but I will need to see that the machine can make another one without an error before I move on to the bigger project. For the Y-motor stall, I think maybe setting the cutting pass depth a little shallower might help (I'm cutting in poplar). For the head pressure, I've reached the point in the troubleshooting instructions where I call LHR tech support.

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061