Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

welcome, there is like what was said ...no dumb questions here.... I've already asked them all.. and probably have some more...Happy Carveing !!!

Hello all, I'm Tom and I just purchased a model B this last weekend from Don Elder in TN. The motor brushes are burned out but I'm confident that this unit will be running in the next few weeks.
    My main reason for buying is for making patterns for glass casting. it's great to be here and I'm sure I'll learn alot from the community!

Welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your creations. Make sure you visit the "support" section on the CarveWright site. There is a lot of great information on learning the machine and software functions. And of course here !
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Hey Bill you are just a baby yet, I am 94 and on my 3rd cw and enjoying every day in my shop. Happy carving Bill.

Old George (nowdodo@hotmail.)

Hello, Gary from Maine here. I ordered my CW and expect to receive it tomorrow. I purchased a new unit with the heavy duty belts, the 11 bit set and one 3/16 carving bit. I'm not sure if the CW comes with the 1/8" cutting bit because I've read two different versions of what's included. I expect I will need that 1/8" cutting bit though. I hope to make some plaques, signs and frames at first. I have experience with a variety of image manipulation software packages and have worked with 3D CAD too so I'll probably create lots of patterns. I downloaded the free designer software and made a dozen or so already. I'll be buying a couple of the CW add on softare packages once I get my feet wet. The pattern modeling suite and the STL importer are currently on my short list followed by centerline text. The scanning probe is interesting too but I'm guessing that the images it creates will need a lot of cleaning up. I would like to hear your opinions on the scanning probe and the software add ons.

Oh and active and retired military - you can get 10% off your CW at home depot and Lowes. They both offer free shipping too but they will charge sales tax.

Hello and Welcome! You are going to have a lot of fun and it sounds like you are well on your way already!

The 1/8" Cutting bit doesn't come with the machine anymore, and you WILL need it...so, buy TWO of them...when one gets dull (or gets dropped and breaks) you will have a convenient spare on hand.

I LOVE the Scanning Probe! The results are amazing and if you setup the scan properly, you will have very minor cleanup and get nice patterns the easy way. I sometimes sculpt an item with Polymer Clay (Sculpey or Premo brands), bake it hard in the oven and scan my creation. Again, results are amazing and it's super simple to do. A lot of folks scan dollar store trinkets and/or yard sale "finds" and make patterns from those. A bonus with the Scanning Probe is you receive the CarveWright Pattern Editor software too. Good for editing patterns, but also can be used for exporting your CW pattern models as universally compatible STL files (after you invest in the STL Importer, the STL Export feature automatically becomes available within the Pattern Editor software). You can build an entire business selling patterns to CW users as well as other CNC users if you have the STL versions of your creations.

So many possibilities...and all of them FUN! (..and potentially profitable too!)

BTW...my wife is from Maine...born in Lincoln, ME. We visit the family camp at least once a year for R&R at Madagascal Pond near Lee and Lincoln.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 09-24-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Gary,

Welcome aboard!

I agree with Michael on the scanning probe and pattern editor software that comes with it. It does an excellent job of copying the finest detail if you use the highest scan settings. Looking forward to seeing some of your creations...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Well that's good news about the scanning probe, I'll get one on order before long in that case. Michael, Lincoln, Maine is about 90 miles north of me but I've been up there many times. I was a consultant for Lincoln Pulp & Paper's engineering dept. There are a lot of lakes and ponds up there, in fact there's a sign when you enter Lincoln town that says "Home of 13 Lakes". Hey maybe I can sell them a new sign!
    Thanks for the info regarding the 1/8th bit also. I managed to get one on order yesterday. I also ordered a B&D Workmate since I have limited bench space. I've yet to see if it will work, but I am thinking I could put a couple of 2X4's on the bottom of the CW then clamp it in the WorkMate when I'm carving. This would give me a multi purpose stand for the CW. We'll see if that works out - either way I needed the workmate so no harm in taking a chance. Seems like my greatest hobby lately is spending money...

Thanks for the welcome folks and I look forward to talking to you in the future!
    Last edited by GVigue; 09-25-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Hi all, I'm Judy, and not really a newbie to CW, since I bought my first machine in 2009, but I am a newbie to forums.

I just bought my second machine and would like some advice. What possible probs, if any, will I have. My first machine is a B and this one is a C. I have upgraded to the CT system on the B machine.

On the new machine I want to install a dust collection system. At the moment I'm running these in our garage and don't have room to put in a dust collector so I will be using a shop vac. I'm very impressed with the dust devil design, but I want to make sure that I can ground the shop vac and not fry the circuit board.

thks

Welcome to the Forum Judy,
    You and I are running similar units and I really endorse your plan to use dust collection. I've helped several users install simple single unit roll around dust collectors to various collector intakes all with 4" flexible hose. Take a look at Harbor Freight tools or just search for portable dust collectors. Not much bigger than a shop vac but a much greater volume of air being pulled through them and makes all the difference in chip collection as well as being designed for continuous running. Again welcome and let us see what you're carving please.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 23 of 61 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast