Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

1. Default

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum

Hi
    I have been on and off this forum for a few years.
    I am 82 years old. I currently do a little carving with my Carvewright.
    I started about 15 years ago. After I retired. Bad health kind of slowed
    me to a complete stop at times. A few years ago my daughter convinced
    me to move to Az to be closer to her. I am now feeling better and getting
    started all over again. Please bear with me as I work my way back.
    Thank you
    Bob Tomasino

Quote Originally Posted by bobtom View Post
    Hi
    I have been on and off this forum for a few years.
    I am 82 years old. I currently do a little carving with my Carvewright.
    I started about 15 years ago. After I retired. Bad health kind of slowed
    me to a complete stop at times. A few years ago my daughter convinced
    me to move to Az to be closer to her. I am now feeling better and getting
    started all over again. Please bear with me as I work my way back.
    Thank you
    Bob Tomasino

Bob,

Welcome back to the forum and good to know you are feeling better. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Default New to CarveWright

hi,
    I'm 61 years old, semi retired tradesman. I only started working the CW about a week ago, and every day has been an adventure. I'm learning as I go.
    I have a nice little home shop, and I've done a lot of wood working over the years, but this is my first wood working machine that requires software.

My first project ended at about 96% with the message, "memory card cannot be read, please re-format memory card, upload project and begin again".

The next 4 projects went just fine (as far as the memory card was concerned).

The 2nd project I was working on today, stopped at about 50%. Same message, "memory card cannot be read, re-format memory card".

I've been doing some reading here on the forum, I see a lot mentioned about static electricity. I did buy the dust collection hood/pipe with my CV. The shop's dust collection system is grounded, the CW is grounded via the ground terminal on the AC plug-in, do I need to do something more?

I couldn't find anything on the specific error message I get, just lots of warnings about static electricity doing weird things. If anyone else has seen this message come up, I'd really like to hear from you.

Thank you
    Dave

Hello, my name is David and I'm a new CarveWright owner. I've got the software sort of figured out to the point where I can upload a pattern to carve, and I've done a few projects. Another big learning was how important board size is to the machine and how allowing it to "scale to fit" changes the size of things. I haven't experimented yet to see what happens if you tell it NOT to stay under the rollers. I also discovered how important it is for a board to be dead flat. Any little twist will affect the board reader.

The only problem I'm having is with the memory card. The very first project I did stopped at about 95% complete with "cannot read memory card". 3 or 4 projects went ok, then it stopped on the next project at about 50% with the same message. Since then, the program can't read the memory card anymore. I've re-formatted several times and done the firmware thing, but the card is dead. I ordered a couple new memory cards, just waiting for them to arrive.

Dave,

A very late welcome to the CW forum. Sorry to hear you are having memory card issues. It does sound like it might be a bad card if reformatting did not resolve the issue. It might also be that there is a small amount of dust/dirt in the connection holes. Have you talked with CarveWright support about your problems?

This is the link to the support section. Look at / read through the learning guide as it does cover the board scaling issue and staying under the rollers (commonly called "following the 7 inch rule" )

http://support.carvewright.com/getting-started/

Please let us know if you have any questions. Post your questions under the appropriate topic heading.

Again, welcome to the group...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Dave,

A very late welcome to the CW forum. Sorry to hear you are having memory card issues. It does sound like it might be a bad card if reformatting did not resolve the issue. It might also be that there is a small amount of dust/dirt in the connection holes. Have you talked with CarveWright support about your problems?

This is the link to the support section. Look at / read through the learning guide as it does cover the board scaling issue and staying under the rollers (commonly called "following the 7 inch rule" )

http://support.carvewright.com/getting-started/

Please let us know if you have any questions. Post your questions under the appropriate topic heading.

Again, welcome to the group...
    Thank you for the welcome!

What happened with the 7 inch rule is somewhere I got it stuck in my head that it was a 6 rule. I thought the machine required an additional 3 inchs per side, not 3-1/2 per side. At some point I went back and reviewed the information again, gave myself a dope-slap and carried on.

Not sure what's up with that memory card, but the program won't write to it anymore and neither the reader or the carvewright machine can read it. I searched the forum but didn't see anything about memory cards, only talk about static electricity doing "weird and wonderful things" to the electronics. I bought the dust port adapter with my CW, and I have it hooked to a 4" hose and a 2-stage collector. The dust system is grounded, the CW must be grounded through the plug-in, I don't think static was cause of the card failure. Hopefully the new card will work like a dream. I'd really like to get back at it.

Welcome Dave, sorry to hear you are having card issues. A while back cards were chatted about and one of the ideas that came up was to put a piece of tape on the cards to make them easier to remove from the machine. Thinking being that the two fingers used to remove the card are possibly doing internal damage to the cards. All my cards have a 4" piece of tape on them. One inch taped top and bottom with a 1" tail off the back of card to use for removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln96 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome!

What happened with the 7 inch rule is somewhere I got it stuck in my head that it was a 6 rule. I thought the machine required an additional 3 inchs per side, not 3-1/2 per side. At some point I went back and reviewed the information again, gave myself a dope-slap and carried on.

Not sure what's up with that memory card, but the program won't write to it anymore and neither the reader or the carvewright machine can read it. I searched the forum but didn't see anything about memory cards, only talk about static electricity doing "weird and wonderful things" to the electronics. I bought the dust port adapter with my CW, and I have it hooked to a 4" hose and a 2-stage collector. The dust system is grounded, the CW must be grounded through the plug-in, I don't think static was cause of the card failure. Hopefully the new card will work like a dream. I'd really like to get back at it.
    That 1 inch does make a difference!

No, the CW is not grounded through the plug, it is only a 2 prong plug. Make sure your grounding wire is attached to the machine. I attach mine to the screw that holds the dust collection attachment to the machine.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Good info guys. Thank you very much.

Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast