Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Demanding client, fun project.

Default Demanding client, fun project.

A client came to me recently and asked me to make a sign...the client asked for something that would definitely be a copyright problem.
    She wanted a sign relating to "Harry Potter" and "Hogwarts".
    I told her that I don't want to end up in jail for making things for a brand that is very much in control of the products that come out.

My client insisted. She wanted this so much that she offered me her entire life savings! She then offered the most important item she owns in trade. Her life savings wasn't much incentive. It was only 12 dollars and 34 cents. It wouldn't cover the materials, let alone the lawsuit costs. But her other offer got to me. She was offering her favorite blanket or "blankie" as she calls it.

She decided to play hardball. "Daddy, you are always making signs for people now, but you haven't made me one. Plllleeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssee?"

Ok. I told her that I would not be able to accept any form of payment, so that I could avoid the lawsuits. This was going to have to be a non-profit gift. I also explained that she could not sell it, or put it on public display (we agreed that her bedroom isn't public).

With that, we talked about what she wanted. She has a good imagination, and she had it all planned in her mind. She wants the Hogwarts shield with the four houses on it, but it should have Harry Potter's owl (Hedwig) perched on it- and a holder on bottom for a wand.

So I'm hard at it. This client has a tight deadline- she wants it yesterday. She's very picky and has been hanging over my shoulder as I do the work.

Here is some early rough work on the owl-which will be covered in Magic Sculpt and mounted on a sculpted limb that will rise out of the logo.

The Sign was carved in two parts on the CarveWright- each about 11 1/2 inches wide by 20 inches long. I glue the sections with gorilla foaming glue. The white lines are where I've filled the cut lines that are already put into the pink insulation foam at 12" intervals. I wish I could get that foam without those.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hogwartweb.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	41651

Quote Originally Posted by Dhaffner View Post
    She has a good imagination,...
    LOL!!!!! I can't imagine WHERE she gets that from!!!

Precious story!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Great job!! I get she had a real hhhaaarrrdd time talking you into it...
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

The imagination, the talent........... just amazing! Some people have a gift and you sir (Dhaffner) are one of those people. It's your works that keeps me hangin' on and dreaming to do something like that one day.
    JerryB:.

CarveWright START U Team Member
    Using 1.187, Conform, PE/Probe, Centerline.

"Let's start sharing PTNs instead of MPCs so ALL SW versions can view & share"

Just fantastic... great job Dad

My Company Site My Company Blog My Church Blog My Church Website My Patterns

Love the story, well played! Well played by your daughter! I love the sign and I am so intrigued with the use of pink insulation. I can't wait to try it out!

Ike

Once again we're hooked and we want to see more. She drove a really hard bargain Dad.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

I had to smile when I read your story. Your daughter is a woman after my own heart. She's learning early to wrap you (men) around her finger to get what she wants. All kidding aside... Your daughter will be the envy of anyone that enters her kingdom. Your great Harry Potter design will be treasured by her for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Ike View Post
    Love the story, well played! Well played by your daughter! I love the sign and I am so intrigued with the use of pink insulation. I can't wait to try it out!

Ike
    It carves great! Lots of 'dust' though if you don't have collection. I sometimes use it for test carves when I don't want to commit a piece of wood...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

George
    Life is short....drink the good wine first!

Quote Originally Posted by gwhiz View Post
    It carves great! Lots of 'dust' though if you don't have collection. I sometimes use it for test carves when I don't want to commit a piece of wood...
    It so hard to believe it is dense enough to carve! I am going to try it for a new top sign for my portable sign shop! I will most likely hand rout the sign. I want something that is light.

Still I love the story and the great signs Doug is making! I need a total make over for my portable shop to attract more buying customers!

Ike

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast