Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ----Please Read Before Posting Pattern----

Seems to open in Designer 2 but not 1.187. This is not supposed to be. Maybe the file is corrupted.

Patterns created in 2.004 are not recognized by 1.187. I hope it is just a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Patterns created in 2.004 are not recognized by 1.187. I hope it is just a bug.
    I had no trouble opening the Side panel 2 PTN in 1.187 Build 10870

Do you have a different build?

EDIT:

OK, I found two ways how to get the pattern to FAIL for 1.187.

1) If I download the ptn and save it, then try to import it directly into 1.187, I get a message that says it's corrupted or not a recognized filetype.

2) Another way to get it to fail...if I have 1.187 already open, then I click on the ptn file here in the forum and choose "open" then the I get an error that says it's not a recognized project type.

So, why did it work for me in the first place? I had version 2.004 running (not 1.187) when I originally clicked on the ptn file here in the forum and chose open. This started the imprt process and I added the ptn to my library. After I read that Dan (bergerud) couldn't open it in 1.187, I closed 2.004 then started 1.187. The ptn was already in my library and the ptn worked fine in 1.187. However, testing further, I discovered the methods to make it FAIL as described above.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

So anyone downloading the PTN file, that does not have 2.004, can not open it in 1.187.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

It seems that patterns created in 2.004 cannot be opened (imported) into 1.187. I am sure it is just a bug. The patterns are really ok and work ok once inside 1.187. Some error flag is raised for no good reason when 1.187 tries to import or open them from outside the program.

I have reported it as a bug. We will have to wait until tomorrow to get the story.

Now the pattern should work in 1.187.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm more than a bit slow in learning to work in 2.0X so please bare with me here. If I design something in 2.0 and want to share it for backward compatibility what are the steps I need to take in saving a pattern or project piece file copy so that users of 1.8 can open and use it?

If someone can spell this out for those of us among the hard of learning it would be greatly appreciated Team. Thanks
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Simple answer: export the pattern out of 1.187.

Simpler answer: wait for 2.005 (I am pretty sure this is just a bug which will get fixed soon.)

Edit: I am only talking pattern files here (.ptn)
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-06-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Bruce, right now it can not be done.
    But here is how it was to work:
    Saving a MPC from 2.0x can only be read by other with designer 2.0x
    Saving a PTN from 2.0x can be read by those using 1.187 or 2.0x

Remember MPC files are project files consisting of more than one pattern (PTN) file, and/or vectors etc.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Thanks Bergerud and Eddie,

Pretty much what I though (although I should have mentioned MPW instead , slow brain today due to multi-tasking). Hopefully the fix will be coming soon and for now I'll operate in both versions of the program. If you operate both on the same PC I assume same current "features" still apply?
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast