Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cut Path Problem

Default Cut Path Problem

I am having a problem with cutting out an object using a cut path. If I cut out a shape, it cuts perfectly on 3 sides of the object, but one side gets a stair-stepped effect. This is caused by the machine not following the exact same path on one side of the object. As it makes it's way around the other 3 sides it is aligned perfectly.

This does this on any shaped item. Square, oval or odd-shaped. They all have the stair-step syndrome. If I am looking at the control panel of the machine, this happens only on the "RIGHT" side of the object. Left, Top, Bottom are all perfect.

Any clues???

I'm attaching a picture to explain it better.
    Thanks for any help.

Default Just saw this happen...

I just saw this happen on a rectangular piece I made last night - it was the first square cut I've done. I wasn't sure why it was there as I hadn't seen it on any of the round pieces I've done.

Another thing I noticed with this stepped cut was that the top cut was the short one. The proper cut length was on the bottom step.

Dan

It would appear that your belts are moving when they shouldn't on that edge cut. Give CW a call on this one, as it might take some type of technical adjustment they can walk you through.

Bob

Default cutting out shapes

I've always wondered why people use the CW to cut pieces. My table saw, bandsaw, chopsaw and router all do this job quicker than the CW, and is less wear-and-tear on the CW. The accuracy of the CW allows one to design for cutouts with the "proper" tool unless you are doing some intricate filagree. Just wondering.

I do it because you can do somethings else while the machine does the whole piece. When it's done all you have to do is pop it loose from the tabs and do some sanding.
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

I've always wondered why people use the CW to cut pieces.
    I use it to cut out shapes because I DON'T HAVE A SCROLL SAW OR BAND SAW. Besides if I do a nice shaped sign panel, why should I pull it out and manually cut around the complicated curves when this machine will do it perfectly?? (When it works) And if I can't cut shapes because it's gonna wear the machine out prematurely, then it's going to wear out from my carving also... at which point I'll throw it in the garbage and get a ShopBot.

I bought it to carve AND CUT OUT shaped signs, which it is designed for and advertised as doing.... I guess I just thought maybe it should work.

(Oh, by the way, this post was asking for help with a specific problem, did you have a suggestion? Thanks.)

I made up these two simple projects to see what was causing a problem I was having trying to use the cut out tool with stock mounted to a fixture. They both cut out a rectangle, one with the cut out tool the other with the rout tool (with tabs manually left in the middle to keep the part in place). Try running a test with each of these to see if you get the same effect.

You might also chaek which software and firmware versions you are running and try reformatting you memory card, which (I think) will also reinstall the firmware on it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Happy carving , Jeff Birt

Check out www.soigeneris.com for CarveWright Accesories.

Home of the 'Carving in the Dark' back lit LCD kit!

Jon,

You didn't say if you've contacted CW or not to see if they can walk you through your problem (which sounds like a mechanical adjustment). I can talk you into how to check a few things, but since you have the warranty, why not check with the real guys for this? Also if you think it's your design, just post the mpc file and someone can check it for you on their machine to see if it's the design or machine if you aren't sure. I'd say, however, it's an adjustment problem most likely on your machine, like perhaps your gears might be slipping at some point, which would account for the belt not traveling properly on each cut.

Bob

Default Need to test still...

For my issue I did send them an email and got back a couple of suggestions of what to look at.

Mainly that the little tracking wheel may have lost an exact understanding of where the board was, either because the board had a pocket/hole/warp or something similar, or perhaps something wrong with the wheel itself.

I'm going to try two cuts, one based on a cut-path, and another letting the machine cut the board to size to see if there is any difference.

For my issue it was based on a cut-path.

Now to find some scrap wood I can test with....

Dan

Dan,

Check your inboard wood edge to be sure it's square (or very close to it) and the edge itself doesn't have any holes, and I'm guessing that it's not the traction wheel (if it moves freely when you move it by hand). I'm still guessing that it's more likely to be a slipping gear that drives the belts, which means removing the right side panel to check it. But perhaps it would be best to give the CW people a call to see if they'll talk you through checking it. No knowing your mechanical skills, I'm a bit hesitant in going further, although it's not hard to do.

Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast