Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: -Objects

John, to get thinner stock through the planner, just add a carrier board. What I do is take a 3/4 piece of plywood, sand and wax one surface, and glue a cross leg to one end. This is like a hook keeping the board from sliding through the planner. Now the planer has a raised table to work from. Thus you can use the planner on thinner stock. It is like adding a carrier board for the CW allowing you to carve thinner stock than the .5 min. thickness.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Ahh....good point, Ed. I appreciate the tip...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    I guess I need to ask a not so smart question. All the project files for the luggage tag are set up for 1/8" thick material, but CW-Hal9000 indicated he used some left over 1/4" thick oak. I would have assumed that any 1/8" stock would have been a veneer plywood, but perhaps that is incorrect. I have never worked with solid stock that thin. Is it stabile enough and what is the favorite method for getting it to the 1/8" thickness. My planer won't go much thinner than 1/4" and it seems like a lot of sanding to get it thinner from there. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated....
    I changed the mpc to 1/4 inch stock board. I cant remember if I changed any depths but I will post the final mpc I used here when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    I guess I need to ask a not so smart question. All the project files for the luggage tag are set up for 1/8" thick material, but CW-Hal9000 indicated he used some left over 1/4" thick oak. I would have assumed that any 1/8" stock would have been a veneer plywood, but perhaps that is incorrect. I have never worked with solid stock that thin. Is it stabile enough and what is the favorite method for getting it to the 1/8" thickness. My planer won't go much thinner than 1/4" and it seems like a lot of sanding to get it thinner from there. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated....
    This might make it a little easier for those who don't want to plane the wood to 1/8". This is made with a pattern set to a depth of .75" so a full 3/4" board can be used. If you prefer a little thicker tag, just raise the pattern depth of the front, back or both.

EDIT: 2:35 pm 02/18/2014. I modified the pattern for the back so the card recess is a little shallower.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    After working with Designer 2.04, 1.187 seems a little clunky but, here is my modified version. The board thickness is 1/8 " but, when laminated together and sanded should produce a tag that isn't bulky. My submissions last night were kind of off the mark.
    Steve I like this one. Nice work. This should be a good product for those with shows, to have on hand to sell.
    Using Designer 1.187, STL importer, Center line, conforming vectors, scanning probe/PE, and the ROCK chuck.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by eelamb View Post
    Steve I like this one. Nice work. This should be a good product for those with shows, to have on hand to sell.
    Thanks Eddie. Anyone can do with it as they please. I had a lot of fun making it and I hope others will get as much enjoyment in whatever they decide to do with either project.

BTW, I have a "Gang of 4" on one board if anyone is interested.
    Steve

7. Default quick carved luggage tag.

Here is the version I used to carve the one pictured here. I really like Steves new one with the carved curves but the nice thing about this one is that it carves in 11 minutes, does not need to be flipped, and uses only the 1/8 cutting bit. So for quick and easy carving its great. It is set up for a 6 1/2 inch by 6 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch thick boards which are sold at home centers and hobby shops. when you open you get a duplicate vertice notice which I can not find or get rid of but it carves fine. you can change the board to a 1/8 inch and adjust depths pretty easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-02-18 00.26.37.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

A sneak preview of what I am working on right now. I know many have done this before, but I wanted to tackle it in nurbs. I cheated a little and brought it into ZB to do a little touch up on the seams. Doing something like this is not as easy as I though at least not in nurbs. Quads would have been a better choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drill bit 3d.jpg  

Eddie

Nice one Eddie! Just make sure your using it on real soft wood!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Floyd it will be 2" dia. I guess, it will be for the lathe. That is the only equipment I have that can handle a 2" dia drill bit. My thought is to take a square piece of wood with the drill bit going though it as something like a shelf ornament.

Note: I am not sure how this one will work out as a rotary pattern, since the contours are not carvable. The down cuts may be straight down, unlike a real dril bit. But I plan to give it a try later tonight.
    Last edited by eelamb; 04-06-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Eddie

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast