Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: -Animals

Eddie,
    We all thank you for sharing your talents. You have gone beyond being generous when you freely share of yourself through these fine patterns. Like many here you have been a tremendous help to me and an inspiration to know one can learn to design beautiful patterns through learning, hard work and practice. Thank you once again Sir.
    Fair winds,

Capt Bruce
    Kinney deSigns http://kinneydesigns.us
    CarveWright START U Team Member.

30 year USN SEABEE, the original Weapons of Mass Construction.
    Designer Ver 1.187 and 2.007, Ver.3.001 One 2009 B CW w ROCK and a 5th Year Anniversary C CW
    Rotary Jig, 2D and 3D, Tracing Probe, DFX and STL Importers

Default shark

Shark!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW shark.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oscar, are you using blender?? If yes, how do you work this out if you don't mind my asking?

Suzanne,

Good morning. Yes I used blender. I am not sure what part of the process you are asking about so here goes.

I usually start with reference images if I can find it or draw it (top, front, right sides). I then build the model. This is where I am still a beginner at picking the right primitive to start and choosing the right tools to create the mesh I want. A problem for me is my lack of formal education on this art stuff as well. Once the mesh is done there are some tools to distort it to further give me the look I am going for. Probably all very similar to moi3d. Blenders sculpting tools keep getting better and better as well so you can also play with like it was a lump of clay.

In blender the stl image is taken as if looking down (z axis) so I have to rotate the image to give me the view I want. Then depending on the height of the model I try to optimize for depth. I start by either deleting the parts that aren't visible or decreasing parts of the model in the z axis and hope its not too distorted.

I then export it as an stl which I open in CW designer. My computer is not very powerful so sometimes the mesh is not dense enough and it will show up as holes at the different seams. I'll use CW to clean up the pattern and done.

Sorry for the long winded explanation and not sure if I answered your question.

P.S. added the picture to show the original model I made on the bottom. I used this to then stage it to try to show motion by tweaking the mesh. I wasn't happy with the tail so I elongated the top portion.

The other part is that blender can export in all major 3d and vector formats for manipulation in other programs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW shark mod.jpg  

After a year I finally figured out how to save hair as part of the stl from blender 3d. You have to change the vector to mesh data and then solidify by extending the line mesh for thickness. Here is the lemur test I had done earlier but now with blender created hair.

Not that I am very good at it yet. There are several dynamics involved in preparing the hair. Thickness, length, direction and location. I have a lot more to play with before I am good at it but I now have a starting point.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW lemur test.jpg  

Default Godzilla

Godzirrrraaaaa!!!! My wife hates it when I randomly scream this out in non-appropriate locations, i.e.nice restaurants, picnics, watching movies, dinner...etc.

I screwed up the hands, feet and a bunch of other body parts but again I am only doing practice sessions learning how to sculpt in blender.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Godzilla.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Godzirrrraaaaa!!!! My wife hates it when I randomly scream this out in non-appropriate locations, i.e.nice restaurants, picnics, watching movies, dinner...etc.

I screwed up the hands, feet and a bunch of other body parts but again I am only doing practice sessions learning how to sculpt in blender.
    By just taking a quick glance... My thoughts was what is it

oscarl48 you do great work glad you are sharing what you are doing and learning.
    Jeff

Jeff, thanks.

This is Godzilla when Godzilla was a real monster in the 1960's . No CG required. He knew karate and could stomp mock cardboard cities with the best of them with plenty of pyrotechnics. Please disregard the man inside the rubber suit.

I was not entirely happy with this pattern but I didn't want to throw it away so maybe someone can use it out there in CW land.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW kitten.jpg  

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast