Thread: Question about trademarked logos

Default Question about trademarked logos

Sorting and taking screenshots of all the free patterns here, I've come across several logos that are trademarked. First I added a couple to the new site I'm making, then I took them down and set them aside. I have about a dozen now, and I'm not sure what to do, add them or keep them off the site?

I asked my attorney, and even he wasn't sure and couldn't offer a solid answer. Does anyone have any experience that may shed some light on this? I've read a few court opinions that say it's ok to draw, render, or otherwise "display" a trademarked image so long as you're not attempting to profit or draw financial gain - I'd guess that makes it ok to post the patterns, but I thought I'd see what people thought first.

Keep in mind there are a couple of people who, for whatever reason, seem bitter that the patterns here are being added to the database (not even their patterns, just in general they seem to think something's fishy), and I wouldn't want to give them ammo to try to make trouble. It would be a shame though not to have them, as some of the patterns are really good quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logos.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	41628
    CWPatterns.com - Search, browse, download, all FREE!
    Spawned on 1/18/2011 - Over 700 patterns and climbing.
    This website can be used as a flotation device.
    "

IMHO as long as you are not charging for the patterns I don't forsee a problem.

Everything that I've read indicates that logos are okay for "private use".

Ahhh don't ya just love the skeptics. You should get a ton of replies on this one as many will have an opinion, some right some wrong. I personally think for the few trademark type PTN's that there are, it would not be worth the grief. You, have enough on your agenda and are doing a SUPREME service to all here with your website.

PS.... GO STEELERS............
    Custom Built Quilt Hangers and Quilt Racks.

If you are not trying to profit, then you are fine. Worst case scenario, they make you remove them, period.

Jeff