Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack's Pattern Website Thread

A "rating" system, with 2 or 3 relative questions sounds 'ok' with me. If one of my patterns is in the mix and someone has some relative comments about it, I would want to know what they are. I would also like to see a "Comments/Tips" section associated with each pattern. One where people, including pattern author, could provide information that help the user get a better carve. For example, type of wood used, etc.
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I would also like to see a "Comments/Tips" section associated with each pattern. One where people, including pattern author, could provide information that help the user get a better carve. For example, type of wood used, etc.
    There's a comment system already in place - when you're looking at an individual pattern, the comments are below the large screenshot. Not many are using it yet, but it's there.
    CWPatterns.com - Search, browse, download, all FREE!
    Spawned on 1/18/2011 - Over 700 patterns and climbing.
    This website can be used as a flotation device.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    There's a comment system already in place - when you're looking at an individual pattern, the comments are below the large screenshot. Not many are using it yet, but it's there.
    DUH....I guess I didn't look close enough....Thanks.
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    A couple of updates on the site: First, even though there's only a few (3) people that insist on not having their patterns listed, I'm not name-watching. It's simply too much work and hassle. If you are one of the very few that don't want your patterns on the site, you have two options. Either check there regularly and report the pattern name and link of your work that you don't want listed, or simply don't post patterns in public here. I'm just too swamped with trying to add to the workload on the site. The overwhelming majority of the users that share patterns don't mind and have encouraged me to list everything in sight. I'll gladly go as far as removing ones you request, but adding another rule to my gather/sort isn't going to fly.

Next - I'm working with someone to add the capability to rate patterns with a 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 system. Not sure how long it will take, but it's in the works.

Finally - I added a paypal.com donation link at the bottom of the pages in the site. So far I'm down about $600.00, and the work on the rating capability is going to set me back a bit more. I don't expect to recover the startup costs entirely, that was never the plan. But if anyone does want to contribute anything it would be greatly appreciated. As I said from the start, this isn't a for-profit thing, but there are certain costs involved. If by some miracle the donate button collected more than I have invested, I'd either buy toddler gift boxes for the charity Feed the Kids, or post here to ask for ideas on improving the site, maybe buying some credit with LHR and having a pattern making contest and the winner gets the credit for bits/patterns/etc from their store... just tossing ideas out there.

To those who have donated so far or are considering it, thanks a ton! The site will continue to grow - traffic keeps climbing, and over 1000 patterns have now been downloaded - that ain't bad for the first 2 weeks.

If you are trying to steal the patterns in the paper clip to post them in your private WEB site, you are no better than the guy that is stealing from us posters than the guy from E-Bay ... think about it; how many of the patterns are you posting do you own, and are now trying to make money from. (I see the PayPal sign), maybe even trying to selling all this to the WEB
    And now you are trying to ask people to rank which ones are best … NO, NO, NO
    I like the CW forum the way it is, I have the right to remove my patterns now, when they are miss used and put on a private forum I lose that right, BJB
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    If you are trying to steal the patterns in the paper clip to post them in your private WEB site, you are no better than the guy that is stealing from us posters than the guy from E-Bay ... think about it; how many of the patterns are you posting do you own, and are now trying to make money from. (I see the PayPal sign), maybe even trying to selling all this to the WEB
    And now you are trying to ask people to rank which ones are best … NO, NO, NO
    I like the CW forum the way it is, I have the right to remove my patterns now, when they are miss used and put on a private forum I lose that right, BJB
    BJB,
    I must respectfully disagree. The work that was done on this site goes far beyond any VOLUNTARY donations that may be offered to support it. If one of your patterns shows up, you can ask to have it removed. But if you publish your patterns in this, or any other forum, there is nothing stopping anyone from distributing it through any means they wish. The internet is a place where once you put something on it (anywhere) you run the risk of having it copied. This site is a real benefit to all who own a CW machine as the little paperclip method used in the pattern sharing forum is an awkward way for people to see what it is they are downloading. This is a community and as such, I am impressed by the effort that people have taken to help each other. This site is just another example. If you do not support it, then you are not obligated to do so. The idea of having patterns rated will give people feedback on what to expect from them and will encourage posters to put up only the very best. I applaud Jonny for his work and having created several web site myself, I understand how much time and effort is involved. I am puzzled why you would not recognize this, but participation is completely voluntary.
    Frederick Potter
    Editions by Frederick
    http://www.editionsbyfrederick.com

Keep 98% of the dust out of your machine with this free dust collector:
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...e-final-answer

6. Default

I just got my machine less than a week ago and as a total newbee I have not figured out how to make my own patterns and I have learned so much from these forum posts. I found jacks website and right away visited the site and downloaded some patterns. I will make a donation and I thank him for doing this. I plan to donate patterns once I start making my own and think this is a great way for us to help each other. To those who have posted patterns here and are complaining about inclusion in the free site I say once you posted a pattern anywhere on the internet for anyone to download then its free game. If you don't want a pattern given away or sold on ebay then only email them to those you want to have or sell them on your own site or carvewrights site. Then you have a legitimate claim against some one who buys your pattern then gives or sells it to someone else. If you post it for anyone to take for free then you have given up rights to that pattern. I am not a lawyer but that is my opinion.

BJB,
    I must respectfully disagree. The work that was done on this site goes far beyond any VOLUNTARY donations that may be offered to support it. If one of your patterns shows up, you can ask to have it removed. But if you publish your patterns in this, or any other forum, there is nothing stopping anyone from distributing it through any means they wish.
    Somehow I do not think we all just fell off the turnip cart here, BJB has donated a ton of patterns over the years I have a feeling the he probably will think twice now as will I. Why? well now that Lynn has category's for patterns I consider moving our "freeware MPC's" as not necessary. I like to also state that John telling us how hard it is to build a website over and over does not make me feel any better. It's nice to visit a place that has options.. but it's also natural to protect the community from spam or redirection. lets be honest if Johny made the patterns himself we would not be having any reservations.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-03-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregsolano View Post
    I just got my machine less than a week ago and as a total newbee I have not figured out how to make my own patterns and I have learned so much from these forum posts. I found jacks website and right away visited the site and downloaded some patterns. I will make a donation and I thank him for doing this. I plan to donate patterns once I start making my own and think this is a great way for us to help each other. To those who have posted patterns here and are complaining about inclusion in the free site I say once you posted a pattern anywhere on the internet for anyone to download then its free game. If you don't want a pattern given away or sold on ebay then only email them to those you want to have or sell them on your own site or carvewrights site. Then you have a legitimate claim against some one who buys your pattern then gives or sells it to someone else. If you post it for anyone to take for free then you have given up rights to that pattern. I am not a lawyer but that is my opinion.
    This is not my understanding at all. Simply because someone posts something on the internet, does not mean they relinquish any of their rights in regard to the material posted. Anything you create (at least in the US) is automatically copyrighted. Unless you EXPRESSLY give up you rights, you don’t lose them simply by posting.

Although I have said this a number of time, personally I don’t care how anything I post gets used, but at the same time I FULLY support every member to be allowed to determine for themselves how they want or don’t want any of their copyrighted material to be used.

The creative commons license is similar to GNU (mostly for software), but expands its scope to a variety of other mediums.

References are posted below:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
    When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ
    How does a Creative Commons license operate?
    A Creative Commons license is based on copyright. So they apply to all works that are protected by copyright law. The kinds of works that are protected by copyright law are books, websites, blogs, photographs, films, videos, songs and other audio & visual recordings, for example. Software programs are also protected by copyright but, as explained below, we do not recommend that you apply a Creative Commons license to software code.
    Creative Commons licenses give you the ability to dictate how others may exercise your copyright rights—such as the right of others to copy your work, make derivative works or adaptations of your work, to distribute your work and/or make money from your work. They do not give you the ability to restrict anything that is otherwise permitted by exceptions or limitations to copyright—including, importantly, fair use or fair dealing—nor do they give you the ability to control anything that is not protected by copyright law, such as facts and ideas
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 02-03-2011 at 07:28 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

One time when I worked as the Operations Manager for a contract security company, a lot of the guards were complaining about the location of a holiday function. I went to my boss and asked him why the guards were always whining. He said "you could call five hundred random people today and tell them you're giving each one of them a hundred dollars, and half of them would complain that they have to come pick it up". He was right. CWPatterns.com will take you, drag you, kicking and screaming if need be, out of the paperclip and into the 21st century.

To everyone that's emailed or PM'd me today - the site ain't going anywhere. I'm a bit busy and not adding patterns like I should be, but it'll keep growing. This ain't my first rodeo. Love my CarveWright, love the community, and the few that can't get behind the new idea yet will come around with time as they slowly see that no treachery is involved - watch and see. In the meantime, I will, as always, listen to constructive input from everyone. This is a project that needs to reflect the collective ideas of the community here.
    CWPatterns.com - Search, browse, download, all FREE!
    Spawned on 1/18/2011 - Over 700 patterns and climbing.
    This website can be used as a flotation device.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by dbfletcher View Post
    This is not my understanding at all. Simply because someone posts something on the Internet, does not mean they relinquish any of their rights in regard to the material posted. Anything you create (at least in the US) is automatically copyrighted. Unless you EXPRESSLY give up you rights, you don’t lose them simply by posting.

Although I have said this a number of time, personally I don’t care how anything I post gets used, but at the same time I FULLY support every member to be allowed to determine for themselves how they want or don’t want any of their copyrighted material to be used.

The creative commons license is similar to GNU (mostly for software), but expands its scope to a variety of other mediums.

References are posted below:

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
    When is my work protected?
    Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ
    How does a Creative Commons license operate?
    A Creative Commons license is based on copyright. So they apply to all works that are protected by copyright law. The kinds of works that are protected by copyright law are books, websites, blogs, photographs, films, videos, songs and other audio & visual recordings, for example. Software programs are also protected by copyright but, as explained below, we do not recommend that you apply a Creative Commons license to software code.
    Creative Commons licenses give you the ability to dictate how others may exercise your copyright rights—such as the right of others to copy your work, make derivative works or adaptations of your work, to distribute your work and/or make money from your work. They do not give you the ability to restrict anything that is otherwise permitted by exceptions or limitations to copyright—including, importantly, fair use or fair dealing—nor do they give you the ability to control anything that is not protected by copyright law, such as facts and ideas
    Thanks Doug.. I think what got us a little cranky is the idea for us not to post if we do not like the results... right now I have a few of my violin images taken for my site and reposted as a google link to import violins. I have to contact Google to get it cleared up after no response from their website. at least i get some free advertising
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 02-03-2011 at 09:00 PM.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast