Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack's Pattern Website Thread

Looking Good. How about a section for grayscale images.
    Morton

Jonny, did you see that sometime earlier in this thread Jason over at the Little Red Woodshop offered about 2K patterns?

The CWPattern site is looking good. - Parry

Quote Originally Posted by mwhatch View Post
    Looking Good. How about a section for grayscale images.
    I have had a couple of people ask about that. I think once we get the PTN files all up we will work on a few additional areas - I want to have a 'complete projects' section for noobs and pros both - maybe some simple projects with step-by-step for first-carve type people, and some more comprehensive ones for more seasoned folks. Not sure how exactly height maps would fit in - can you give more detail about what you're thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Deolman View Post
    Jonny, did you see that sometime earlier in this thread Jason over at the Little Red Woodshop offered about 2K patterns?

The CWPattern site is looking good. - Parry
    Yup - I talked to him and did download the PTN files. The problem is there are a LOT of duplicates from the old pattern sharing thread - I'm going to have to go through them one at a time and search the site to try to keep dupes away, but there are many good ones that I haven't seen on the forums - they'll be added soon as I get the time to sort 'em out.

I'm also struggling with how to take screenshots of the MPCs that I have - there's about 1500 of them now, but with varying sizes, it may not be possible to create uniform, square screenshots of everything. Not a huge deal, but I like all the pics to be the same ratio, color, etc. (OCD yes, but it sure does look good!).
    CWPatterns.com - Search, browse, download, all FREE!
    Spawned on 1/18/2011 - Over 700 patterns and climbing.
    This website can be used as a flotation device.
    "

I would be happy to explain. I do not yet have a Carvewright, hope to in the next month or so. I do have a small cnc machine and the Vectric Aspire software as I am sure other people on this forum have. I am no graphic artist, but I believe I or others like myself could come up with some nice basic designs that can be converted to grayscale, then iimported into the CW software. I have included an image created using Aspire, from a free 3ds file I found on the internet. This image can be imported and cut using the CW and CW software. I am really looking forward to using the CW, but I need to wait awhile for warmer weather since I will be using it in my garage
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mf.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	41765
    Last edited by mwhatch; 01-30-2011 at 07:11 PM.
    Morton

A couple of updates on the site: First, even though there's only a few (3) people that insist on not having their patterns listed, I'm not name-watching. It's simply too much work and hassle. If you are one of the very few that don't want your patterns on the site, you have two options. Either check there regularly and report the pattern name and link of your work that you don't want listed, or simply don't post patterns in public here. I'm just too swamped with trying to add to the workload on the site. The overwhelming majority of the users that share patterns don't mind and have encouraged me to list everything in sight. I'll gladly go as far as removing ones you request, but adding another rule to my gather/sort isn't going to fly.

Next - I'm working with someone to add the capability to rate patterns with a 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 system. Not sure how long it will take, but it's in the works.

Finally - I added a paypal.com donation link at the bottom of the pages in the site. So far I'm down about $600.00, and the work on the rating capability is going to set me back a bit more. I don't expect to recover the startup costs entirely, that was never the plan. But if anyone does want to contribute anything it would be greatly appreciated. As I said from the start, this isn't a for-profit thing, but there are certain costs involved. If by some miracle the donate button collected more than I have invested, I'd either buy toddler gift boxes for the charity Feed the Kids, or post here to ask for ideas on improving the site, maybe buying some credit with LHR and having a pattern making contest and the winner gets the credit for bits/patterns/etc from their store... just tossing ideas out there.

To those who have donated so far or are considering it, thanks a ton! The site will continue to grow - traffic keeps climbing, and over 1000 patterns have now been downloaded - that ain't bad for the first 2 weeks.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    A couple of updates on the site: First, even though there's only a few (3) people that insist on not having their patterns listed, I'm not name-watching. It's simply too much work and hassle. If you are one of the very few that don't want your patterns on the site, you have two options. Either check there regularly and report the pattern name and link of your work that you don't want listed, or simply don't post patterns in public here. I'm just too swamped with trying to add to the workload on the site. The overwhelming majority of the users that share patterns don't mind and have encouraged me to list everything in sight. I'll gladly go as far as removing ones you request, but adding another rule to my gather/sort isn't going to fly.

Next - I'm working with someone to add the capability to rate patterns with a 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 system. Not sure how long it will take, but it's in the works.

Finally - I added a paypal.com donation link at the bottom of the pages in the site. So far I'm down about $600.00, and the work on the rating capability is going to set me back a bit more. I don't expect to recover the startup costs entirely, that was never the plan. But if anyone does want to contribute anything it would be greatly appreciated. As I said from the start, this isn't a for-profit thing, but there are certain costs involved. If by some miracle the donate button collected more than I have invested, I'd either buy toddler gift boxes for the charity Feed the Kids, or post here to ask for ideas on improving the site, maybe buying some credit with LHR and having a pattern making contest and the winner gets the credit for bits/patterns/etc from their store... just tossing ideas out there.

To those who have donated so far or are considering it, thanks a ton! The site will continue to grow - traffic keeps climbing, and over 1000 patterns have now been downloaded - that ain't bad for the first 2 weeks.

I personally think any type of rating system is a terrible idea. The philosophy of this forum has always been that any contribution is a great contribution. All a rating system will do is discourage many who are still crafting their skills from sharing their work. That would be terrible thing for our community as a whole.

I also am a bit surprised by " but adding another rule to my gather/sort isn't going to fly." Even if it is not technically morally, legally or ethically wrong... this community has always gone to great lengths to respect the wishes of our fellow members. I have always maintained that anything I share can be used in ANY manner, but I fully support every member to determine for themselves how or how not their shared items can be used. I find it a bit arrogant to take such a position. I would hope you will reconsider this stand. If I am misreading you statements, I apologize and please clarify your statements.

I think we owe it to each other to do everything in our power to respect each other and try to maintain a happy family.
    Doug Fletcher

Doug - you're misunderstanding what I said. I did mean that saying "don't post my stuff" won't work. I simply can't keep track of what came from where. I did say I'd gladly remove any pattern that someone points out as theirs and asks to be removed. That should suffice, and allow me to keep up the sorting pace. If someone is going to be totally touchy and flip out when they see their patterns elsewhere and thinks it's too much trouble to just point it out to me and ask for it to be removed, then maybe posting a file in a public place isn't for them.

As I said when the discussion started, I won't keep a pattern on the site that someone posted here and I accidentally swept up for inclusion, but they will have to be the one that tells me - I just don't want to track it. I hope that makes sense.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Doug - you're misunderstanding what I said. I did mean that saying "don't post my stuff" won't work. I simply can't keep track of what came from where. I did say I'd gladly remove any pattern that someone points out as theirs and asks to be removed. That should suffice, and allow me to keep up the sorting pace. If someone is going to be totally touchy and flip out when they see their patterns elsewhere and thinks it's too much trouble to just point it out to me and ask for it to be removed, then maybe posting a file in a public place isn't for them.

As I said when the discussion started, I won't keep a pattern on the site that someone posted here and I accidentally swept up for inclusion, but they will have to be the one that tells me - I just don't want to track it. I hope that makes sense.
    Thank you for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that we all try to respect everyone who is a part of this forum. Bad blood only hurts everyone in the long run.
    Last edited by dbfletcher; 02-01-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Doug Fletcher

I totally agree. I just want the very few that don't want their patterns listed elsewhere to know and understand that it's far less work for them to just check every so often than have me have to add another regular step to pattern sorting on this end.
    "

Jonny, - seeing your carve of the cover pattern turned on a light. Can you consider a section where items for the Carvewright itself has been used? You might start with the cover. I know their have been some sleds. I had thought of something else I was going to mention and now it escapes me. Perhaps someone in the community can remember.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast